Coopers Community

Thar she blows! (when OxBar bottles fail...)

PatrickS3

2011-11-04-007.jpg

The bottle on the left is the only bottle in the entire batch like this, clearly due to a structural failure of the multi-layer OxBar construction. These bottles have been through about a dozen batches, so it seems they do eventually wear out, as opposed to glass bottles. Fortunately, I caught this one before it failed completely, and relieved the pressure. I'll be tossing all of the OxBar bottles with any hint of layer separation in the future... (and no, they weren't over-primed or primed unevenly... 250g sugar to 25 liters, mixed evenly by racking into a bottling bucket, after having been in the primary for 5 weeks).

Some would say 10gms sugar per litre is over priming.

Well, it's certainly on the higher end, but one can also consider that Cooper's own basic beer kit, with the fermenter, Lager extract, and carbination drops uses 250g to 23 liters. So I'm already priming less than the starter kit.

Now, some may aim for a less carbonated beer, and use less sugar, but *overpriming*? I wouldn't consider 10g/L outside the reasonable range, as even some wheat beers would be primed with even more.

Some would say 10gms sugar per litre is over priming.

Well, it's certainly on the higher end, but one can also consider that Cooper's own basic beer kit, with the fermenter, Lager extract, and carbination drops uses 250g to 23 liters. So I'm already priming less than the starter kit.

Now, some may aim for a less carbonated beer, and use less sugar, but *overpriming*? I wouldn't consider 10g/L outside the reasonable range, as even some wheat beers would be primed with even more.

Sure, a pack of carbonation drops weighs 250g but the drops themselves are around the 3g to 3.3g mark - 2 to a PET bottle equates to a priming rate of about 8g per litre. There will be about 20 drops left over once a 23 litre brew is bottled.

holy sheet... that's more than double what I generally use.. at 2.0 Volumes for an APA (admittedly low) fermented at 18 but rose to 20 to condition...

105-110g (Dex)!!! even if I wanted 2.4 Volumes is still only 142g (Dex)

what sort of beer was it? If it wasnt a wheat beer and you were deliberatly aiming for those carb levels... er... 3.6 Volumes based on the above numbers..

for style it may fit into a German Wheat???... what was it out of curiosity?

British ales 1.5-2.0

Porter, Stout 1.7-2.3

Belgian ales 1.9-2.4

American ales 2.2-2.7

European lagers 2.2-2.7

Belgian Lambic 2.4-2.8

American wheat 2.7-3.3

German wheat 3.3-4.5

Numbers listed are volumes not grams

Archived