Coopers Community

cloudy beer

andrewd20

hello

does anyone else have this problem.before my home brew has been chilled the liquid is clear can see right through it.The it is refridgerated and drops to around 8 degrees it goes cloudy as.Ican take it out of the fridge and as soon as it gets above 8 degrees it will go gradually clear,put it back and liquid drops below 8 it turns cloudy.it still tastes fine but what is causing this

cheers

I'll assume you are talking about Kits or Extract brewing. If you are all grain brewing, then you may have to look at your mashing regime or chill process.

It can clear up the longer you leave the bottles refrigerated at as low as you can.

The proteins that form chill haze will come out of suspension and eventually settle out.

You will find reference on this site to crash-chilling. That is a process where the fermented beer is moved to a fridge for 2-3 days (chill-haze forms) then allowed to return to room temp over a day (proteins drop out) and bottled. Clear beer.

If that is not possible, finings can be used, eg. Polyclar, gelatin etc.

And, of course, using quality ingredients = Coopers!

thanks for the replies i should have guessed beer haze we used to call it wine diamonds after it had been chilled for several weeks when i worked in a winery

as for drinking warm beer that defeits the purpose of enjoying a beer

as for drinking warm beer that defeits the purpose of enjoying a beer

True if one only drinks Lagers. Especially true if it is the mega-swill Lagers - VB, CD, Toohey's etc.

Our taste buds don't work very well below 4C, harsh tannins can come through in dark ales. Try a stout at 4C then at 10C - big difference!

The complexities of a beer's flavour and aroma is most apparent when it is served at the appropriate temperature...

Pulled this from Rate Beer

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don\u2019t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, K\xf6lsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bi\xe8re de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

Hot (70C/158F): Quelque Chose, Liefmans Gl\xfchkriek, dark, spiced winter ales like Daleside Morocco Ale.

Chill haze can be reduced when you are done brewing the wort. Put the hot kettle in the sink,then fill with ice all the way round.

Then top off with cold water. Stir the wort now & then,but keep a lid on it. I also place a floating thermometer in it to monitor temps. It should get down to 21C (70F) in about 20 minutes.

The quicker the better to get a good cold break. This settles out some soluble proteins that cause chill haze.

I do this all the time,& found that it takes a bottled beer about 12 hours in the fridge to chill haze. But not quite as much,& settles out quicker. It settles like a fog. You only need to go through this once. It settles out with the yeast trub.

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don\u2019t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

[biggrin] he he....I've had quite a few beers that fit in this catagory over the years....and some of those are so called "premium" beers! [crying]

Chris

My old cricket club often put on BBQs after a game and they always only served VB. It was free so I drank it.

On one occasion I pulled a bottle out of the ice bucket, opened it and found it to be almost a slushie VB.

It was the best VB I have ever had in my life. I couldn't taste it and it was refreshing after a game of cricket in 40 degree heat.

That's how VB should be served in pubs, via a slushie machine.

My old cricket club often put on BBQs after a game and they always only served VB. It was free so I drank it.

On one occasion I pulled a bottle out of the ice bucket, opened it and found it to be almost a slushie VB.

It was the best VB I have ever had in my life. I couldn't taste it and it was refreshing after a game of cricket in 40 degree heat.

That's how VB should be served in pubs, via a slushie machine.

[pinched] [pinched] [pinched] [pinched] [pinched] [pinched]

Archived