Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale - Finally :P

RoaldV

Hey guys

Thanks for all the advice etc on the coopers pale ale kit.

Just finished pitching the yeast on a coopers pale ale with 1kg LDM, 300 grams of dextrose, and 15g steeped cascade.

Was pitched at 22 degrees (I almost didn't manage to get it down!), and everything went fairly smoothly.... except for the LDM... OMG, was that a PITA. Apparently you're not supposed to stir LDM.... [annoyed]

It all worked out in the end, so all good.

Anywho, OG is 1.040, and given my Lager is now drinkable (an extra 2 weeks conditioning has done it a world of good), I can't wait to see how this one is going to turn out.

Cheers!

Roald

Roald, thats great news.

My lager has been in the bottle for a week now and tasted pretty good. Cant wait for mine to get old quick.

My best brew yet was a pale ale similar to yours. I love it, its going to become my staple brew.

I boil my wort in the pasta pot. Think its 10 litres and I stir the malt in good. Think it was $20-30 at Harris Scarfs.

Cheers Steve

Good stuff Roald.

Don't worry too much if the LDM didn't mix in properly. It has a tendancy to clump together. The easiest way is to add it in smaller quantities and swirl th FV around to mix it.

If there are clumps remaining it will still ferment properly; the only result is that your OG reading may be a bit lower than it actually is.

I never have any problems mixing LDM.

I place it in the FV with whatever other sugars I use then add the boiling water... approx 2L then immediately pick up the FV and swirl it around. It will dissolve easy this way and barely any work to do so. Then I add the can of goo and mix with a spoon and top up with required amount of water.

I have never had any clumps at all. [biggrin]

Yep, another lesson learned Bill [biggrin]

I'll definitely go either the 10L boiling option, or the "swirling technique".

I think the only thing about the process that bothered me a bit (other than the rigirous stirring) was the fact that I could have been scratching the FV, and the lid of the FV was open for a lot longer than I would have liked.

But at the same time, all the equipment I used was a LOT more sanitised than the equipment I used for the first batch. So I'm sure it'll be fine.

Archived