Coopers Community

Wine smell in Mexican Lager Brew

ShakeyD

Hi just attempting my second brew. The first was the standard Coopers Lager that came with the DIY berr kit and although it only came out at about 3.6 % (maybe I didnt get all the malt out of the tin) it came out really really good. 3 week later it is all gone!

Anyway this time I have attempted a Mexican Lager from ozbrew, I follow the instructions and added a 1/4 of a lemon (which I cleaned thoroughly with boiled water) as recommended. Supposedly the lemon gives it a nice clean crispness. Anyway OG was 1.036 it is now day 14 and seems to have just finished fermenting and is at 1.005. So all seems fine.

However compared to the Coopers Lager which I knew from the sample was going to taste good, this one smells a little like wine. Just worried this batch is going to be wasted. Or will it probably fix with time after bottling?

All equipment was clean and sanitized and I had the brew in a temp controlled fridge, pitched at 22 C (1.036) then steady at 18.5 for 12 days (Gravity 1.010) then temp increased to 21.5 for 2 days now it has been 1.005 for 2 days.

Hi Shakey,

My guess is that you brewed it way too warm. If it was a true lager yeast in this kit 22c down to 18C is not the optimum temperature. More like 15C-12C.

It's confusing because the Cooper's "Lager" is actually an ale.[annoyed] [crying]

I'm having the same problem with a TC Pilsner. Botlle conditioning at 18-20, then store them in a cold spot for a couple of months and Shellberightmate[biggrin]

It sounds like an ale yeast in which case your temps are OK.

How does it taste?

That is the real test. The smell will probably dissipate over time but if it is infected you will taste it.

Shellberightmate

Ha ha. It looks like you will have to change your moniker to Australian Ayle. You've been spending too much time on the forum and become one us us. Welcome [biggrin]

Gday Shakey

What fermentables are you using? If you are using Dex, this might be the reason you are getting the taste you are describing. Previously when I have done the mex, I used dextrose and found that it imparted a quite pronounced alcohol taste to the beer, which probably wasnt helped by me not knowing any better and fermenting at a higher temp (24-26C).

Off flavours will be alot more pronounced in beers such as the mex and pilseners due to its lighter style and are some of the hardest to get right. It did fade somewhat as the bottles conditioned, but took some time for this to happen. If you used dex or brew enhancer, id try ditching it for some malt instead, and ferment at the lower temp range (16-20C).

Gday Shakey

What fermentables are you using? If you are using Dex, this might be the reason you are getting the taste you are describing. Previously when I have done the mex, I used dextrose and found that it imparted a quite pronounced alcohol taste to the beer, which probably wasnt helped by me not knowing any better and fermenting at a higher temp (24-26C).

Off flavours will be alot more pronounced in beers such as the mex and pilseners due to its lighter style and are some of the hardest to get right. It did fade somewhat as the bottles conditioned, but took some time for this to happen. If you used dex or brew enhancer, id try ditching it for some malt instead, and ferment at the lower temp range (16-20C).

I used a Malt Extract and a Brew enhancer with a mixture of Dextrose and Maltodextrin, just the ingredients that came in their kit, it also had a hop bag which I just boiled for 5 minutes to make a hop tea and then threw out the bag. The place I bought it from said because I added lemon I probably should have put the hop bag in the fermenter aswell to balance the flavours. And with the lemon in I should not have let it ferment for as long as I did (14 days). However I only got a stable Gravity reading today so I don't know how I could have done that.

It sounds like an ale yeast in which case your temps are OK.

How does it taste?

That is the real test. The smell will probably dissipate over time but if it is infected you will taste it.

Shellberightmate

Ha ha. It looks like you will have to change your moniker to Australian Ayle. You've been spending too much time on the forum and become one us us. Welcome [biggrin]

Dosen't taste bad, like no off flavours at all, just taste similar to the winey smell, kinda sweet. Guess in about 6 weeks I'll know.

I'm going to let the bottles condition in my temp controlled fridge, what is the ideal temperature. I read somewhere maybe 21 for a few days and then drop it to 16C, does this sound ideal?

Archived