Coopers Community

How late is too late to dry hop?

JoelC3

I have had a Coopers IPA in primary for about three weeks now. I was going to bottle it in a couple of days, but I am now thinking it needs some alone time with some cascade hops. Is it too late to dry hop? Would I need to rack off of the yeast cake for that?

Have at it soldier!! No need to rack off, I would however use the 'chux' method if you do not cold condition or rack to bulk prime. Main reason being floaties. I CC and rack so I just whack em in...

Chux Method - Sanitise a piece of chux and string and wrap the hops up, weigh down with a Stainless Steel fitting or sanitised marbles or something heavy that can be cleaned/sanitised and bung em in. You will want to leave them in for about 4 days min.

Best practice is to drop them in when the krausen starts to drop (day 4-5 of fermentation) but no reason why you 'cant' do it later.

Yob

+1 to what Yob said.

If your sanitation regime got you through to week three then there is no reason it won't last another week.

The issue with leaving the wort on the trub for a long period of time is yeast autolysis but it shouldn't be an issue at 4 weeks.

See below:

Yeast Autolysis

Archived