Coopers Community

Sparkling Ale Kit

BenL12

I have just put down a sparkling ale and wondering how soon should it begin to ferment (airlock action) i used the recommended ingredients and added a cascade hop bag to the fermenter just prior to pitching the yeast at around 22degC

Ben, at that temp you will probably start seeing signs of fermentation between 12-24 hours after pitching.

But then again, all fermentations are different and are affected by many variables (including the amount of viable yeast cells pitched). It may well be sooner or later than that.

Also, don't rely on your airlock. An airlock that doesn't bubble is not an indicator that fermentation hasn't started; and vice versa.

The airlock just shows that air is escaping through the airlock. If you don't have a perfect seal then the air will escape elsewhere and not via the airlock.

Look for other signs of fermentation:

- condensation on the lid

- Crusty ring developing on top (krausen)

- Decreasing Gravity

I don't use an airlock; just glad wrap over the top of the FV held down with the o-ring from the lid. I use a plastic barrel type FV though (the old Coopers Microbrew kit).

Keep using the airlock if you like (they make a nice sound) but don't rely on them.

And trust your hydrometer [rightful]

Hi,

I put down a Sparkling Ale on Sunday:

1.5kg TC Sparkling ale

1.5kg LLM

500g LDM

300g Dex

SG was 1.054 and kit yeast pitched @ around 24deg

Took a hydro reading this arvo and it comes out at 1.0055.

Does this seem low????

Will take another reading tomorrow but I am hoping it's done at that reading.

Don't mean to highjack your thread Ben [bandit] but it's all related.

Cheers,

Matt

1005 sounds a bit low Matty but then again your OG sounds a bit low so maybe if you allow for the readings being off it should all balance out and be about right (does that make sense [unsure]).

Either way, there is no rush to bottle as soon as it reaches FG. 2 weeks in the fermentor will generally do your beer wonders [rightful]

1005 sounds a bit low Matty but then again your OG sounds a bit low so maybe if you allow for the readings being off it should all balance out and be about right (does that make sense [unsure]).

Either way, there is no rush to bottle as soon as it reaches FG. 2 weeks in the fermentor will generally do your beer wonders [rightful]

Yep that make sense Muddy.

What do you think my OG should have been - I measured with two different hydrometers?????

Archived