Coopers Community

Long steep ?

BrendanS8

Hi all, i did a brew the other day. The idea was to mash 250g of munich malt for 20 minutes, then while that was steeping start the boil. To cut a long story short i was well into the boil and remembered that i had a pot of of grain on the go.

The mash went for 50 minutes. [annoyed]

Will this extra steeping time make a big difference to the taste of the beer? [pouty]

The difference between steeping and mashing can cause some of us (me) a little confusion.

If you only steep for 20 minutes it is very likely that you will not convert the starch in the grain into sugar and you might get starch in the beer. This would add to your FG since it will just stay there and may contribute to the beer being a little cloudy.

I assume you steeped it at around 150F for 50 minutes. My guess is you will not notice much difference in taste but there may have been additional conversion of the starches taking place which may result in a lower FG and even a clearer beer than you may have got with a 20min steep.

The difference between steeping and mashing can cause some of us (me) a little confusion.

If you only steep for 20 minutes it is very likely that you will not convert the starch in the grain into sugar ...

There is no "conversion" when "steeping" speciality grains.

Steeping is essentially rinsing the already converted sugars from the grain. The enzymes required for conversion (eg amalyse) have been denatured during the kilning process.

Eveb cold water can be used to steep overnight, useful with dark grain from which you require the colour but not the roast flavours.

If you only steep for 20 minutes it is very likely that you will not convert the starch in the grain into sugar ...

There is no "conversion" when "steeping" speciality grains.

Steeping is essentially rinsing the already converted sugars from the grain. The enzymes required for conversion (eg amalyse) have been denatured during the kilning process.

Eveb cold water can be used to steep overnight, useful with dark grain from which you require the colour but not the roast flavours.

Agreed

After how many minutes does a steep of Munich malt(at mash temp) become a mash? That is when does the starch begin conversion?

I was under impression that Munich was on the must mash list.

Archived