Coopers Community

slow/stalled fermentation

peterw20

Hi all,

unsure of where to list this post, but will ask the question and hopefully get some help, i put down 2 stout wort's a few days ago,

1st 1 x coopers stout +1 kg BE2+1 tin condensed milk immediate activity (within 1hr)

2nd was 2 x coopers stout + 1kg BE2 + 500g brown sugar, SG=1.064 added 1 yeast @ same time as milk stout and no activity left for 24 hrs opened lid and very little fermentation signs so added 2nd yeast still little activity has been 4 days now, unsure of wether i should stir it or just leave it and check SG in next few days? hope someone may be able to steer me in the right direction, cheers Snappa

Hi Peter,

Firstly check your SG over two consecutive days to ensure that brewing has not commenced.

Some brews will bubble and boil and produce substantial krausen while others wont. Comparitive SG tests are the only way to establish whether or not fermentation has commenced.

I'm not a fan of stirring worts but if you chose to do so ensure

your brew spoon is sanitised well.

For future reference a brew with an SG of 1064 will be better off for two sachets of Coopers ale yeast, not one.

Check your temperatures also.

Is condensed milk an ingredient for milk stout?

I would have thought lactose rather than actual milk is what is required. But it seems to be working - let us know how it works out.

Yeah, don't cut back on the yeast. For two-can brews always add the yeast that comes with the can. Or the equivalent.

A few hours ago I put on a OS stout + OS lager + 1kg dex + 150g crystal malt. OG was 1058, pitched at 22C but so far there's not much observable action apart from sedimentation. But I've learnt to wait...

I wouldn't be stirring or opening the FV without knowing for sure that fermentation is not happening, then I would be thinking twice about doing it.

What temperature are you brewing at?

Also I agree with David, you should have pitched at least both yeasts, especially if your wort is on around 1064 and only 7g a packet of yeast.

When you say "little activity after 4 days", does this mean none or some?... a little means it is doing what is expected.

thanks for the replies fella's,

wort has been app 20 c since put down, when i put the second sachet of yeast in i could see that there were limited small bubbles rising to surface of wort but compared to the activity of the milk stout (volcanic),

thanks for the advice of placing more yeast in high SG worts, and i'll let you know how the milk stout turns out 1st try,

thanks again, cheers Peter.

Anthony & Peter,

I use Lactose in my milk stouts. A bit over 10 gms per litre is a good starting point.

A friend of mine has used condensed milk and claims good results but I've never sampled one.

Lactose isn't to hard to source and really not that much more expensive than condensed milk. If your not near a brew shop then your local health food shop is a good place to start. I think I paid about au$4.50 for the last 500gms I bought.

It's also worth considering using light malt instead of a second can of stout.

For my tastes to much dark malt is to0 bitter and can impart a somewhat 'burnt' taste to your brew.

The Coopers os stout kits aren't exactly light on bittering hops either.

One persons tastes aren't anothers.

Let us all know how you went.

Hi Peter that milk stout sounds interesting! love to here the outcome. There is nothing wrong with stirring your brew, so long as your spoon is sanitised. Stirring your brew is a way of speeding up the fermentation. The big brewers do this by taking a sample of the wort and place it on a vibrating device (I'm sure someone will come up with the proper name) and this speeds up the fermenting process so as they can see if the wort/beer they are fermenting is going to plan. So go ahead and give it a big stir and see if that helps out. If your worried about airborne stuff getting in just place a clean tea towel over the top while you stir.[smile]

Archived