Coopers Community

Tap leak

Cuchuliann

Received my coopers brew kit last week and set about my first brewwand discovered there is a slow leak from the tap. The tap fitted properly. It is a real shame because i wasted all my first brew ingedients and have had to dump the whole lot down the sink. has anyone got any tips for fixing the tap leak? I wondered if a bit of petroleum jelly might do the trick but will that infect the brew? thanks

I find it hard to believe that you HAD to throw it all down the sink just because of a leaking tap. Why in the world would anyone do that?..... I also believe that in the instructions it did in fact recommend to fill the FV with water first to get an idea of tempertures for the volume to pitch your yeast etc. If you had done this you may have been able to spot a leak.

Nevertheless, contact customer support and talk to them about it. They are usually pretty good to get a satisfactory outcome.

Thanks Bill - I know the instructions said to fill it first - I was just too keen!! lesson learned[biggrin] . I'll give the hotline a go - meanwhile if someone could get back to me on whether a bit of vasso can be used to stop a slow leak I'd love to know.

Mark, I'd go for a water based lube like KY if you must use something like that.

The first option would be to hit Coopers up for a replacement tap - leaky taps seem to be an unfortunately common problem with the new DIY fermentors [rightful] (The term "DIY" is a term that inherently connected with dodgy home projects so maybe a leaky tap is appropriate...but I guess the horse has already bolted on that one [innocent] )

It's a bit late now but I don't think you needed to tip out your brew - It can't have been that bad a leak. Things would have to be pretty dire for me to ever tip out a brew [pinched]

Hi, I also just put my first batch down yesterday and discovered a small leak from the tap. Im not gonna ditch the batch but I was wondering if this is a potential for contamination? Its really only dripping once every couple of hours.

Will this be a problem?

Figured I'd just try and fix the leak or replace the tap before the next use.

It shouldn't really be an issue with a slow leak. However, you may have just not put it in as it should go. You probably already done this but, I'd try and push everything tight to try create the seal.

Keep an eye on it and if it get s any worse then I'd suggest to contact customer support.

I find that my tap can leak a little when I turn the tap as you would normally, but if I am careful and keep things in line then I don't have any issues.

I do agree that there is definately a flaw with this being a common occurance. Something which I assume Coopers should fix in time.

I took a gravity reading yesterday and got myself a leak' date=' i just pushed hard against the tap and it stopped, nothing there this morning on the paper towel i put under it.[/quote']

Yeah I have the same problem, if I don't kind of push it in and downward it leaks a little. Now I'm not too sure if there is a slow leak that I haven't spotted dripping, I'll clean it up and keep an eye on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived