Coopers Community

keeping the brew warm - first time brewer

Cuchuliann

First time brewer! this will be a stupid question but I have to ask it - I want to get into doing a brew but overnight tempreatures in Sydney at the moment are lower than recommended temp range. I read all the tips on keeping the brew warm etc but don't have anything very sophisticated. what if i stuck the brew in a box with some polysterine and blankets...would that work? I'm just not sure how much insulation is enough!? Any ideas?

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. You will find it a great source of imformation to keep you making and improving your brews.

Always remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question but there is such a thing as stupid people. They are generally the ones that dont ask stupid questions.

We would need to know a couple of things to help you in your quest.

What temperature is your "brewroom"?

If you are brewing in a nicely heated abode (18-20c) putting your brew in a box with blankets etc. is a great idea. It will help keep the brew at a more constant temperature which is desirable when brewing. I am making the presumtion here that you are using a Cooper's original series lager( white can, green lid). Other yeasts may require different temperatures to work.

What kit are you using?

If you are brewing out in the shed at your latitudes you might need to look at an artificial heat source.

If you can address those couple of questions in your reply someone can offer you a solution.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've settled on making a space in the linen closet inside the house (much to wife's distress). The house would probably hover between about 14 and 22 degrees at the moment over 24hr cycle. Yes I'm using the Coopers Lager and the DIY Coopers brew kit[biggrin]

Give it a go Mark. I reckon that if you insulate your brew as you have suggested and keep it in the cupboard you're in with a fighting chance. The yeast supplied with the kit you have is actually an ale yeast, not a lager yeast. It will give you the best results at the 18 -20c range. You should get pretty close to that in the conditions you have described.

Keep an eye on the temperature. It wont get too hot in your circumstance but if it slips below 18c the yeast will go to "sleep" (not die). It's not the end of the world if this happens. There are solutions to most problems you encounter here.

I wouldnt say that they would go to sleep below 18C but you cant get much lower. I always aim to ferment my ales around 18C.

The lower the temperature (while it is still fermenting) the cleaner the beer will end up.

I did a brew in Sydney last month. The temp reading on the FV got down to 16C over night although the room was much colder. It took about 12 days to brew - 5 days longer than normal. I just wrapped a thick towel around it for insulation.

Be careful about where you put your FV. You don't want to have to move it if possible, so if you can bottle your brew from inside the linen cupboard, well ok.

I always move my fermentor before bottling and unless you're doing a jig while moving it you really don't stir up the sediment more than a negligible amount.

But yeah, I guess you want it as close as possible to your final destination as they get heavy pretty fast over large distances [biggrin]

Archived