Coopers Community

Steam Cleaning????

FraserH

Im just curious as to weather anyone has tried steam cleaning bottles prior to bottling instead of steriliosing with a product?

She who must be obeyed (sometimes) has a steam cleaner and its been playing on my mind weather this would work for bottles and FV

Happy Drinking

I would probably still sanitise my equipment before I put the beer in it.

Although from what I hear the power of steam is good for cleaning (according to those ads) so it might be good to use to clean the fermenter and bottles.

Hi Fraser,

Interesting concept, not sure how viable though!

I think it would be too hot for PET bottles as a steam cleaner makes about 120deg C. I think that would 're-shape' the PETs.

I think that the time it would take for you to steam up each glass bottle to the point of sanitising it, Starsan would have done the job in a fraction of the time.

Just my two cents!

Interesting link on it here..... Steam Cleaning Home Brew Bottles

well I think ill keep to my current sanitizing ways as the time factor for doind each bottle would be a pain in the backside.

Ive currently got a coopers lager bubbling away and a brigalow apple cider on the go,Ive had to do another lager as well. . . . I tend to go through them rather quick and keeping up with the amount that I drink is getting harder and harder.

I tasted my cider sample this morning and all I can say is DAM!!! its going to be one heck of a nice drop, its still got possibly 3-4 more days before I bottle it and I was well impressed.

Do many of you guys here make cider also, This is my first crack at it but the way things are going ill be doing alot more in the future[biggrin]

Hey Fraser,

I bottled a wet pack apple cider about 4 weeks ago. It smelt and tasted a bit off while fermenting, but after four weeks in the bottle is starting to come around to what I think will be an awesome drop. It still tastes a bit green. Because I used a wine yeast it takes a while to mature. It smelt like 'Rhino farts' in the FV though. Google Rhino Farts from Apple cider, factoid!

Ive seen the Brigalow kit on the shelf..... so it's good is it?

well I also just did it as a way to add a bit more variety to my collection and the wife quite enjoys ciders.

well while its in the FV its tasting quite brilliant so Im expecting great things [joyful] Ill let you know what its like after a week in the bottle as I always try my brews after a week to see how they are progressing

Im going to get a alcoholic ginger beer going in the next few days as well[cool]

back on topic a bit here..

I have a "steam matey" which is like a teeny enclosed kettle, I can get into the threads in the tap really well and is good in that regard though I must admit that I havnt used it for a while.. same same here

before modern the "modern" chemical warefare we use to sanitise our equipment these days steam was widely used, but it is not as effective in our homebrewers situation as to how we commonly do it...

ie propper cleaning and no rinse sanitisers, even after giving the threads a good blasting with the steam, which at the very least makes me feel better, I still hit it with a no rinse sanitiser.

Yob

Oh k so I tried the cider today and its only been in the bottle since the 29th,(yes I can hear you all shouting to be patient)

WOW, when I first popped the bottle the smell that leaps from the bottle and beats life into youraging snorter is quite simply brilliant. I poured it into 2 large glasses(SWMBO always has to have a drop too) it had a brilliant head and looked a little cloudy, After admiring my handiwork on the golden drop I took the first swig . . . . . Oh k so it was a little more than a swig so I had to crack another just to check that my senses were acurate on the first glass, well 3 bottles later I can confirm that

1,I like cider.

2,One is never enough.

3,It packs one hell of a punch , I am suspecting that SWMBO has slipped something into my glass in an effort to cloud any judgement I may have about the musings of myself and my homebrewing efforts.

SWMBO is still sipping her first glass at this point so im guessing she isnt as impressed at my efforts as I am

[cool]

With the cider I have brewed it a few times and found it rather dry which I didn't mind although SWMBO didn't particularly like it that way. Last time I brewed it from a kit I used BE2, 500 grms of lactose and the pear schnapps liquor essence. Turned out a treat and no complaint from the ladies. [biggrin]

With the steam cleaning what I do is hit the bottle with boiled water to clean out the remaining sediment then in to the dishwasher where it is not only washed but steamed aswell. At bottling time I still hit with a sanitiser. I also wack the fv through the dishwasher before putting a batch down...

I have 2 small 4.8L batches of cider that I put in the fermenters 6 weeks ago. Made one from Long Life Berri Apple Juice and the other from the refrigerated Berri Apple Juice in cartons. I used Nottingham yeast for both. One is clear as a bell the other(the fresh juice) is cloudy as hell.

Been waiting for my refractometer to take readings. When I bottle I may try out putting some Splenda in a couple of bottles to back sweeten it.

""""Last time I brewed it from a kit I used BE2, 500 grms of lactose and the pear schnapps liquor essence. Turned out a treat and no complaint from the ladies. """"

Which kit did you use for this? Ive been looking for ideas for a pear cider so any other suggestions are very welcome

It was a brigalow cider kit. GOt it for $3 when Coles Australia were running out their stock last year... Normally Brigalow sell for about $11 bucks at Woolies in Australia. Black Rock which is a Kiwi brand was double that from the lhbs...[innocent]

Archived