Coopers Community

Really short ferm time!

91abv_chris

G'day guys!

I put down my first minimash last Friday, a really nice IPA, but something really odd happened...

Made the wort up...a beautiful combination boiled for 60 minutes with magnum bittering and finished with kent golding hops.

Now comes the odd part - I pitch the yeast (liquid wyeast english ale), it lags for about 16 hours then makes a short,thick krausen and it's done in another 20 hours!

The yeast went in @ about 29C (warmer than recommended, but it's the best I could get), room temp went as low as 23C at night. OG was perfect @ 1074 and now it's 1024 and smells goooood!

Is this normal? I don't have that much experience so I'm not sure if I did something really wrong, or if I'm just really lucky.

It does seem pretty quick for such a high gravity beer but 3 days is common for fermentation at high temperatures. As you mentioned, you pitched at a very high temp.

Depending on how long it took for the temperature to drop, most of your fermentation may have been commpleted at higher temperatures.

You may get some off flavours or even fusel alcohol. But then again, you may not.

The proof is in the tasting so you will just have to wait and see.

Anyway, congratulations on your first minimash[biggrin]

On a side point, what was your recipe and your procedure for the mash?

Thanks guys, I'm really stoked about it.

The full recipe was (approximately converted) was

1 kg munich

500gr 2 row

750gr crystal

250gr carapils

I dumped in about 250gr of 6 row on a whim, just because I could.

3.5kg light LME

60 minute boil with 55gr magnum hops

55gr flavoring british kent golding for 5 minutes

55gr aroma brit kent golding for 1 minute (all in pellets)

Target OG is 1073-1077

84-88 IBU's [w00t]

7.2% abv [tongue]

The process was more work than an all-extract, but not all that hard. Grain goes in the bag, into water @ 77C. When it's thickened up a bit, the bag with the grain goes into the mash bucket (same one I use for bottling) with the liquid. 40 or 50 minutes later @ 62-71C, it's mashed!

Sparge with nice hot water @ 80C and strain/squeeze out the rest of the liquid (3 gallons in all).

Now it's the same as a boiled extract recipe.

According to the gravity alone, it should be ready to bottle...I'll give it a couple days to clear a bit first.

Can't wait to try it!

5 gallons total, 19 liters.

It was my first time with liquid yeast so I didn't know what to expect (it kinda sunk to the bottom, which didn't seem right)

It's a fun experiment, all in all...my next batch will be in the mid-late autumn when the air cools and makes temps more manageable.

Archived