Coopers Community

Coopers Brew Enhancer vs Brewing Sugar (Dextrose) ??

ChrisG11

Having just bottled my first batch of Coopers English bitter I am now considering my next brewing project. I like the way Coopers put together all the bits you need to make great beer but here in England some of the items are a bit pricey !! I can buy Brewing Sugar (Dextrose) for a third of the price of Coopers Brew Enhancer but I am wondering whether some of the beers flavours would be noticeably changed if I substitute Brewing Sugar for Coopers Brew Enhancer. Has anyone got any thoughts on this ???[unsure]

Here is a summary of the Coopers sugars/malt:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

If you replaced the same quantity of BE1 with dextrose then you will be adding significantly more dextrose and removing the maltodextrin.

The additional dextrose will ferment and increase the alcohol content.

Maltodextrin isn't fermentable and adds a bit of body and mouthfeel to your beer.

In summary you will end up with a "thinner" beer which is higher in alcohol.

You will probably find that your beer will taste better with a combination of Light Dry Malt and dextrose.

As an experiment I have made 2 brews of coopers mexican curveza I made thge first with BE2 and the second with the brewing sugar purely so I can taste for myself which one I find better and what i prefer ....... so far I must admit the be2 batch has a definate taste difference and its only been ion the bottle for 2 weeks(give or take)[biggrin] the brewing sugar batch has a very hollow taste , if that makes sense to you,

So personally at the moment I prefer the BE2 but well see what the taste is like in 6 months or so

Having done this experiment you should also do it with something that is not so thin to start with... i.e. something like a real ale or draught. What may work on one can can give an entirely different result on another, especially if one can is the Mex.

Archived