Coopers Community

English Bitter Secondary Fermentation.

WaynoW

A bit of a strange one here, maybe you guys can shed some light on this....

I bottled two brews 2 weeks ago today, 1 x Wheat Beer with honey and 1 x English Bitter.

Today I couldn't resist any longer and had a taste test. The wheat beer is right up my alley, firm PET bottle, smooth to taste, full bodied and a tinge of citrus at the end, nice head and well carbonated..... well, the English bitter.... hmmmmmmmm its "FLAT"... yup, not carbonated. 'Huh?' Great taste, but 'FLAT'

I bottled into PET bottles, 2 carb drops per bottle, and the bottles are well.... soft compared to the wheat beer which are rock hard. I pour the English Bitter and there is 'no head' and virtually no bubbles.

Both brews have been in the secondary Ferment cupboard at 21deg for the past two weeks undisturbed. I dropped 2 carb drops per 750ml PET. Hmmmmm Does the English bitter take longer to carb up or am I missing something here? Should I leave another week or so? And then maybe carb (two carb drop the bottles) again? I dunno, so many questions [pinched]

All my other brews have firmed the bottles up fully within two weeks, the English Bitter has not done this. Some history on it.... 20lt @ 20deg SafaleS04 yeast, Coopers Can OG 1045, Final 2 gravities = 1012... ABV 5.0%... tastes great, just flat.

Help! LOL

Cheers

Wayno!

In relation to carbonation, the only real difference is the yeast.

All I can suggest is to give them a gentle shake and leave them for a bit longer.

I like English Bitters lightly carbonated but not flat.

I've done two batches of English Bitter, actually pitched a third last Saturday, mine have always been well carbonated and always have a top head, even after two weeks in the bottle. I'm pretty sure I used glass bottles for my first 2 batches and never had problems with them. When I have used PET bottles they work just as well. I make sure I tighten them up a second time when I finish bottling. My picture on my signature is my English Bitter

I did what Bill & Hairy said and gave them a shake and left them for nearly another week now!

They look fairly carbonated in the bottle, and are nice and hard.

When I pour them, there is very minimal gas and barely no head at all. To be honest, I have shared them with a few friends today and it is an awesome brew, got the thumbs up from everyone!

The taste is truly amazing. One person here today use to work in a pub in London for a few years and told me this is exactly what the English Bitters are like over there, minimal head (barely any) and only very lightly carbonated which only just tingles the tongue, and a slight toffee malt after taste, apparently best served at about 14 deg.

I just didn't expect such a lightly carbonated beer!

Awesome drop[biggrin]

Cheers

Wayno

I used the priming calculator primecalc. Max co2 volume for the style is 1.3 volumes. That's what I used for the English bitter kit I was given by Jon@ makebeer.net. I added 1oz haulertaur hops in 2 additions as well,since that's what was left in the freezer. I also used demerara sugar for priming. Hoping it's ready by 8/27. Big day then.

Archived