Coopers Community

Duplicate brew enhancer #1

Mayotruck

So from what I have gathered the coopers brew enhancer #1 has 600g dextrose and 400g of maltodextrin...I am NOT a fan of DME in my coopers kits as it makes a malt flavor in my lauger beer (my favorite) . I looked forever for the maltodextrin and cam across this

qse-goldmedal-carbs10-v.jpgINGREDIENTS: Maltodextrin, Yielding the following Glucose Polymers: Polysaccharides, Oligosaccharides, Dextrose, Maltose.

If you read the ingredient i believe that means its only maltodextrin. SO i just made a batch of coopers lauger + 600g dextrose and 400g of this gold medal carbs(maltodextrin) I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out because the flavour of the wart is already a huge improvement over dme + dextrose...

Any questions or comments or concerns?

@damein

Right but it must be the balance then that the dme seems to overpower the hops..least for me it does.

@yob

You don't like the brew enhancers? I sure loved the brew sugar that came with my kit.. it was the best brew I ever had.. and I have made quite a few with dme+sugar, dme + honey, dme+ dextrose and all of them were OK... the first brew was maltodextrin + dextrsoe and it was by far my favorite

I really don't like beers made with brew enhancers or brewing sugar unless they are added as a small percentage with the majority of the fermentables being malt. I avoid maltodextrin altogether - horrible stuff [pinched]

Sorry Mayotruck I agree with the others on this one but when it comes down to it if you enjoy beers made predominately with simple sugars then you have achieved what you set out to do.

I'm a kit and extract brewer myself but I like a higher quality of beer [biggrin]

How can maltodextrin be better than DME? They do totally different things and malrodextrin is pretty much non fermentable and is just used to produce a better head (which can be easily done using better ingredients).

Its used for head and and mouthfeel, its pretty much tasteless so u can actually taste the hops within the can of extract without overpowering it like the DME does... if you use dme you could fix the balance by adding a hop teas sure, but why bother since its already there within the can just the dme buries the hop flavor so u must dry hop or make a hop tea, just to get the flavors right.

My question though has any of you even used maltodextrin? many AG brewers love it, its funny the extract brewers dont lol

I've used it but don't really see the point I prefer to steep some grains to give me what I need. I don't believe malt overpowers the hops if you make a balanced beer - quite the opposite in fact.

You like what you like so I guess it is best to agree to disagree as you seem to just want to pick a fight which flies against what makes this forum a nice place to visit.

Maybe 2 cans of goo and nothing else. I often use 2 cans to make stuff, I do mix dextrose with it but a very small amount. I find it fairly well balanced.

For EG:

Can of OS Lager

Can of OS Stout

1kg of Dextrose.

I normally only add half the dextrose or even less. Makes a very well balanced beer without the need for grain or more hops. Plus you are using only malt, no maltodextrin or dextrose (if you choose to leave it out)

Basic rule is the more effort you put in the better the beer.

Nah it just funny I jump on here to see if anyone likes the brew enhancer duplicate and instead everyone just says "oh your idea is crap" but its exactly what coopers sells. I know there are brew snobs but wow, this is by far the worst forum I have ever seen for that. Just came out to shoot me down...Other brew forums love this and were asking were to get it ect. I understand some people are set in there ways about brewing but why do they always seem to degrade or disregard kit and kilo brewers it always blows me away. Im guessing they never had a successful kit and kilo kit ever because if you did, you might not downgrade this brewing process so much...

Everyone on this forum is a kit brewer Mayotruck. All we speak about is using kits, but we try to find better ways to improve them.

I personally like malt better but I often brew with a kit and a kilo of malt instead of sugar. If I find the balance isnt correct next time I make it I might add some flavour hops.

I also think that using too much maltodextrin gives a grainy mouthfeel but I might be the only one. I have also found that if i use too much simple sugars i get a cidery taste which I don't enjoy

Matty A thank you for that..I agree 2 cans would be nice 1kg of dextrose is alot more than i would use personally. but yeah looks like it could be great' date=' recipe (i would probably only use 500g dextrsoe)[/quote']

It is a great recipe, I find it removes all of the dextrose (if you want) and only uses malt which gives it good head retention and mouthfeel and it is well balanced.

Hi Guys,

This is what I think on the matter.

I make beer with lots of different ingredients. Some brews I use all malt. Sometimes i use dex & corn syrup and often I use honey, rice syrup, molasses or demerera sugar etc. This of course depends on a lot of things. Sometimes I'm just wanting to make a fast brew or a cheap brew(dex and corn syrup are really cheap). These for some reason result in some of my more popular beers(with friends). These beers are simple and easy drinking. These are my house beers. Often the beers that I make with all malt and hops adds are too complex to be just plain quaffable.

My recipe notebook has dozens of recipes in it. Most of the recipes are my own with a few I've picked up from you guys. Some of the beers I've made with dex & corn syrup the next time I make it I use LDM instead just to compare. I haven't found any to be that much better or worse just different.

In a nutshell. One can't use the same ingredients for every brew. Whether that be malt, dex, corn syrup or other. The whole brewing thing would become boring. Besides, if you don't experiment with different things then how do you ever achieve the ultimate goal... To make THE BEST BEER IN THE UNIVERSE![rightful]

Chad

someone has a bit of something stuck in some orifice...

You DO NOT have to use BE1 to get maltodextrin, I commonly, if not always use some, and for the record, I'm the same as muddy, Kit and Extract brewer. Never done an AG brew... yet

I use carapils to achieve my maltodextrin needs, it comes from grain therefore fresher in flavour... and IMO I will not use a "powder" when grains can get 'better' results

if you use grains you do NOT need to use the BE's.

Gorden bennet, before you start sprouting off on your wonderful earth-shattering techniques of using crap ingredients, do a little research and learn a few things.

Beer is ALL about ballence and it might shock oyu but your can of goop... got malt in it fella.

Yob

IM suggesting that Mayo may need to do a little research.

Im all in favour of experimentation but really... some of the things said here just dont float.

a kilo of Carapils is cheap as chips, and is a fresh malted grain (we hope) and does me about 8 brews... depending on how heavy handed I am, but you really dont need to use much, there is a distinct difference to using "powder" to using grain in the final product and IMO you cant get that fresness from processed ingrediants. (bleached etc etc)

some of the things said above are just simply wrong,

it is not a BE1 "duplicate" and I take umbridge at some of the uninformed things being sprouted.

No offence intended. and good luck with the project.

[roll]

[edit] and at $39-$59 for 4.5 kilos, even if it WAS a comparable product (which I doubt it will be) I would still use grains...

I totally agree with Yob and Muddy. I am not going to comment a great deal about the crap posted here as it will just start a flaming attack. However, I must say that if Mayotruck is not a troll then he/she would have taken the time to do some research here about what most here brew and then would have seen that most here are brewing Kits. However, he/she seems to like to shoot their mouth off without proper research in order to rouse people for a response.

Mayotruck - I suggest you to do your research before you start providing false accusations you know nothing about. i.e. stating people here brew AG when the majority obviously do not. It would have only taken a few minutes to look at the recipe section of this forum to see this.

That's all I am going to say in this thread as it just is not worth me wasting time to feed a troll. [devil]

Archived