Coopers Community

Reusing your Yeast/Trub from FV

WaynoW

Hi all,

I have heard that it is possible to create a yeast starter, or reuse the yeast, from the trub left in the FV.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of doing this? and maybe any ideas on the process?

Is there a separation process involved by refrigerating or something?

Also, as you 're-use' the yeast, and as Lager yeasts are different from Ale yeasts and the like, can you cross them over?

Ta

Wayne

I have done this sucssesfully more that a dozen times and it really works well. First of all I just make a simple brew no hops ect. ie KIT and BE2. Ive had no problem with any of the Fermentise yeasts or Coopers yeast. Even the yeast from Coopers bottled beer. All I do is make a second brew in the manner I wish to match the yeast I am going to use a second time and make this as usual in a FV, Next step is to bottle/keg the beer that is on the yeast that you wish to reuse. Once I have kegged/bottled that brew I then poor the new brew onto the yeast (once it has cool to the correct temp.) and ferment as you would do. I have had no loss or bad brews doing this but I think I would not do this for a third time. One thing I would say is to rehydrate your yeast the first time you use it. This way you dont have to many dead cells in your brew.

I have done this successfully more that a dozen times and it really works well. First of all I just make a simple brew no hops ect. ie KIT and BE2. Ive had no problem with any of the Fermentise yeasts or Coopers yeast. Even the yeast from Coopers bottled beer. All I do is make a second brew in the manner I wish to match the yeast I am going to use a second time and make this as usual in a FV' date=' Next step is to bottle/keg the beer that is on the yeast that you wish to reuse. Once I have kegged/bottled that brew I then poor the new brew onto the yeast (once it has cool to the correct temp.) and ferment as you would do. I have had no loss or bad brews doing this but I think I would not do this for a third time. One thing I would say is to rehydrate your yeast the first time you use it. This way you dont have to many dead cells in your brew. [/quote']

You may want to keep an eye on your yeast count as doing this is certainly over pitching.

You only need 1 cup of the slurry for a Lager and 1/2 a cup for an Ale.

Now I'm not saying this is the best thing to do but I am not over pitching and I am yet to get a bad brew or one with funky flavors. In THIS post is what I do.

I then poor the new brew onto the yeast

this most certainly overpitching for your brew, its all covered in the links I provided above, PLEASE have a listen, there is a fabulous level of info in there and is really worth the listen, in fact Im listening to the repitching link again today myself (Thats 4 now Wegs) just for the hell of it, and indeed I picked up a couple of things I missed on earlier listens.

These shows go havd in hand with THIS LINK (for pitching rates) and PITCHING CALCULATOR

I made myself some jars on the weekend marked with 50ml increments so I can more accuratly judge the ammount of collected and washed yeast I have.

There are a few other good topics (Glycol and freezing yeast etc)on another forum for long term storage and techniques but I wont bother with them here, for the moment...

Yob

Archived