Coopers Community

Low brewing temps: any flavour impact?

SteveL

Am aware off-flavours are produced when fermenting at high temps.

But are any undesirable flavours produced when fermenting (ale yeasts) at low temps, such as 15-16 degrees instead of the perfect 18 degrees?

Or is the only risk that fermentation will stall?

Just wondering as 15-16 degrees appears the ambient temp in my (brew)house in Adelaide at the moment...

Cheers

Steve

There aren't any risks that I am aware of that off flavours occur due to low temps' date=' just risk of fermentation stalling due to the yeast going to sleep, though I could be wrong[/quote']

This is correct.... I've heard it is best to ferment at the lowest temp possible without dropping the yeast from suspension (sending them to sleep). 18C is just a nice temp in case of issues like temp fluctuations etc. I have my fridge set to 18C and when it drops to 17.5 it will heat back to 18C.... if it goes above this to 18.5 then the fridge will come on and send it back to 18C. Some people have a smaller difference but each to their own :) Therefore, in my situation if I were to ferment at 15C and it drops to 14.6C and stays there then there is a chance I will send the yeast to sleep. 18C is a nice safe figure that is mutually agreed to.

Thanks!

Normally I wrap up my FV's , if needed, to get to 18, but haven't bothered with last few batches as they have still been fermenting at 16 so have assumed all is good.

Cheers

Steve

I did a brew last fortnight using some saf-04 ale yeast and was getting temps in the 15-17 degree range, Ended up stalling and took about 10 or so days to ferment out. All was good at temps above 16 if that helps

You can't. Im not trying to brew a "true" lager, but I am trying to get about as close as I can with the heritage lager can considering the limitations of the equipment I have available.

I can't use lager yeast as I do not have a brewing fridge I can put my FV in to get the temps down low enough, as I don't have room in the house I am renting and no garage.

This is why I have used US05, as it is about the best I can use in this temperature range

Using US-05 should still be good.

As you say it won't be a true lager but it should still give you a light, clean, crisp beer. Especially if you ferment it at the lower end of the temp range.

Let us know how it turns out.

Will do Hairy. Certainly looking forward to sampling it when it's done. It's my first batch using hops, so will be interesting to see how it turns out. Ended up going with a cascade/nelson combination, as I am quite fond of these 2 hops (especially together - they work really well together in Fat Yak), so I thought it was time for a bit of experimentation.

Watch this space!

Archived