Coopers Community

Stuck fermentation or am I just being windy?

DenisM

I put a batch of Coopers Real Ale on 6 days ago, I used a kilo of light spray malt, 100g of dextrose and pitched Muntons Premium Gold yeast. SG was 1044 and last nite and again tonite I got a reading of 1018 which sounds a little shy of what I thought it would be (1010 or thereabouts). For the first two days the temp was 26c so I dropped it to 22c. It smells and tastes good from the hydrometer jar but I still think a FG reading of 1018 doesnt sound right, plus I expected the ABV to be a bit stronger than what it is, am I right?

• 2 weeks later...

After 18 days in the fermenter I finally bottled my ale, it was at 1014 and wouldnt budge below that. I was surprised that the ABV is only 4% approx, considering I used a kilo of spray malt and 100g of dextrose, why is this?

Ive only ever used Muntons Gold the once, I had similar issues with the yeast and found them to be very lazy. If you want a good ale yeast try US-05... however, fermenting at 26 is way too high, try to get them down to about 18'c or so...

it sounds like you have some form of temp control so shouldnt be a problem?

I use a brew belt and I will take your advice and keep the temp lower. I bought three packs of Muntons yeast so I think I might just ditch em, or would you think it would be ok to pitch a pack in with the yeast supplied by coopers? I wont be using muntons yeast again. Thanks Yob

Is the Muntons Premuim Gold yeast a 6g packet?

If so, it may be that you haven't pitched enough yeast and the little fellas are struggling to finish off the job.

Try pitching 2 packets next time and see how it goes.

I use a brew belt and I will take your advice and keep the temp lower. I bought three packs of Muntons yeast so I think I might just ditch em' date=' or would you think it would be ok to pitch a pack in with the yeast supplied by coopers? I wont be using muntons yeast again. Thanks Yob[/quote']

Dont throw it out, just pitch 2 packets or rehydrate it then step it up, or you can just use it as a yeast nutrient.

Archived