Coopers Community

Coopers Pale, bubbling away, yet no foam cap at all

WaynoW

Hey Guys,

A bit of a 'Newb' to home brewing here so please bare with me!

I bought a Coopers home Brew Kit and ran a Lager batch a few weeks back which went like clockwork.... bottled up and almost ready to chill soon, very happy.

So I thought I'd do a batch of Aust Pale Ale (1xcan + BE2).

Everything was TOTALLY sanitised with Coops Snitsr. It has been about 30 hours now and fermenting has kicked in as there a bubbles forming and raising, yet there hasn't been, and there is no sign of, any foam 'cap' at all (unlike my first Lager batch).

So just thought I'd pose this question to see if this is the norm..... Fermenting and no foam?? Any ideas please? And thanks in advance.

Wayno

Hi Wayno, welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the frequently asked questions which may help.

FAQs

Your brews will ferment differently due to a number of factors eg. amounts & type of fermentables, yeast, temperature etc.

Some will foam a lot and may ooze out the top (perhaps not if using the DIY kit) and some may not foam much at all.

Some times it takes a bit longer to get going than other times.

Other than checking for the signs of fermentation, the best way to check is to take a hydrometer reading after a few days. If the gravity has dropped then it is fermenting.

All the best with it.

I've got a hefeweizen brewing an the moment, even though it fermented very fast (based on hydrometer readings) it produced absolutley no kr\xe4usen. It has also happened to me once before, and the resulting beer was fine. I'm not sure what causes it, but don't worry... it will be fine! [biggrin]

Thanks Hairy and Biermosta,

It certainly is fermenting away nicely, the OG was 1036 and 30hrs later the SG has dropped to 1024. So all is good.

I guess being all new to it I was just unsure. I look forward to trying some recipe variations down the track.

Cheers again for your replies guys!

The Best Beer in the World...... Is an Open Beer! [biggrin]

Hey Wayno, i have never really had a thick krausen with my apa kits using the supplied yeast. Its all good brother.

I'm using White Labs300 heffe yeast and i'm amazed how much of a krausen it has on top. This is my first that has had this style. Yah its interesting all the different yeasts!

Thanks DJ Labby,

I understand the basics so far that is the yeast kicks off the fermentation process.

Just wondering what are the other purposes/benefits of using different yeasts? like as you mention White Labs300 heffe yeast?

On reading FAQ's I am hearing about commercial yeast, liquid yeast it seems as if the possibilities are endless....... I guess it could take a very long time and a lot of trial and error to find a brew that you really like.

Just curious to ask... do you generally find a style of beer to your liking, and then 'tweak' the ingredients with each batch to fine tune?.. this is what I thought of doing to start out! And if it works ....[joyful]

Just curious to ask... do you generally find a style of beer to your liking' date=' and then 'tweak' the ingredients with each batch to fine tune?.. this is what I thought of doing to start out! And if it works ....[joyful']

Hey Wayno,

I think that's the way to go, but I've also found I like a change every now and then. I brew Coopers Sparkling all the time (just attempting using commercial yeast for the first time), but also try other recipes just for something different.

Enjoy buddy, it's all about experimentation.[biggrin]

Archived