Coopers Community

still not a fan of OS lager

Greg

I work with a guy who still says that my first brew made with the OS Lager is his favourite and better than my other beers I have made since.

I have now stopped giving him any more of my beer[devil]

I still say the OS lager is a good base to make some good beers. Some plain DME (different "colors") different hops,various hop schedules,all make the difference. Just depends on what you can imagine using it for. I've come up with a recipe that my wife's gunna brew that should be similar to a Sam Adam's summer ale.

Some years we sell more than 25k starter kits, some years less.

Yes, the OS Lager is brewed using Pale Malt and PoR hops. So it makes an excellent base for recipes.[biggrin]

It was my base of choice until we developed the Australian Pale Ale beer kit - APA carries slightly less bitterness and a little bit of malted wheat in the grist. [wink]

wow, this thread has created a bit more excitment than what i thought it would. This was in response to my taste only. Of course, it would differ to other people. I prefer malty beers, as this is my preference. Having said that, kits can be improved significantly by the addition of malt, grains and hops. But when you look at it, for the cost of tarting up a kit, you could be doing all grain, and its really not that difficult.

meh,I'm having too much fun with my "recombinant extract" theory. I use cooper's cans in every beer I make,but they're all different.

The OS lager has gotten a lot of mileage around here. Now,add the OS draught with DME & different hop schedules to the mix.

I have a new recipe that gets to diff ales from the same one. Both based on the OS Draught can.

I get my "Sunset Gold APA" (American Pale Ale) from a Draught-based recipe. Then change the hop schedule to get my "buckIPA" (buckeye IPA,Ohio being "the buckeye state")with 6oz (170.1g) of 3 different hops. The APA's malt profile is very close to Dog Fish Head's malt profile used in their IPA's.

So I make an IPA with it too. Here's a pic of my APA;Sunset Gold APA

Here's another shot with less head to show the color better;SGIPA

Archived