Coopers Community

A Cider Question

Beer Loving Trent

I have told the wife that I would brew some cider (because she doesn't drink beer, so all the more for me[cool], she doesn't drink much at all really) I don't think she would be to keen on apple so I thought I could add 2 litres of fruit juice to the mix as long as it was 100% and I would put in two litres less of water. Would this work as I now most juices and cordials on the market are usually apple based anyway. She has asked for orange mango but I don't know if the acidity of the orange juice would throw off the fermentation process or not. I did find a nice apple/mango fruit juice and I suggested apple/blackcurrent but she doesn't like it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This should not be hard..

Apple & Mango would work fine. citrus and pineapple juices will turn sour(ish) unless you keep them to less than 50% of total (according to OzTops).

Also, you want no added sugar, pasteurised juice, ie: long life juice or juice that is sold on the shelf not in a fridge.

Non-Alcoholic

Fill your fermenter with the desired amount of juice, sprinkle a neutral flavour yeast eg: neutral wine yeast, muntons gold(?). Or use a Coopers ale yeast.

Allow it to re-hydrate for say an hour, give it a good stir, prime bottles as per normal, condition for 2-3 weeks.

Alcoholic, same as above with the addition of sugar (or malt?), the amount depends on your desired alcohol volume, then ferment and bottle as normal.

Wouldn't the yeast that you add then convert all of the natural sugar in the juice into alcohol. I couldn't be sure but I thought that this would then cause a potential bottle bomb hazard.

You may be correct. However I am thinking the "natural sugars" that are fermentable are quite low, hence recommending those juices with no ADDED sugar. Similar to making the Coopers's non-alcoholic ginger beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived