Coopers Community

Leave it!

rossm

There is a lot to be said for leaving brews to condition as long as possible, I stuck a couple of my 2 can stouts,(1 stout, 1 dark ale, 500gm LDM)in the fridge yesterday and cracked one last night, as good as any stout I have ever tasted! I have cracked a couple over the past tweleve months and it was OK, but now they are 12 months old it is great!

I agree a lot.

In some cases a couple of weeks really changes alot.

I had a 2can stout that tasted ok after 1 month and then I tasted it 2 weeks later (with my father in law) and it was fantastic. It had changed so much over such a short period of time. Needless to say that one didnt last long although I have another one that I don't even plan on tasting till after 12 months.

The brew, I've made of late, that needed conditioning time was the Motueka Slam, dry hopped with 100g of Motueka flowers - too much! It took a while for the resin character to settle down - at a couple of weeks it would pin your ears back [pinched]

RIS is another that needs a good few months for the flavours to settle down and meld in the bottle - mind you, it will age for several years [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

I love a good stout in winter, yet I am not a big stout drinker. I am going to pitch one in the coming weeks (surfing the forum looking for a nice recipe close to something like Guinness) with the intention of leaving it for a few years and picking away at it as I please.

My query with regard to leaving the brew to condition is, is it okay leaving it in the PET bottles? Or glass?

I have just heard that the PET bottles are only good up to a couple of years because of the potential leeching of oxygen through the plastic over a long period of time.

Can someone maybe please set me straight on this?

Cheers Wayno [biggrin]

Archived