Coopers Community

Arvo Beer (The New Megaswill)

Hi guys.

Has anyone tried this stuff yet?

It is being produced here in Australia as Casella Wines venture into the beer market.

For those who don't know who Casella wines are, they are the winery behind the very popular & much exported "Yellow Tail" wine label amongst numerous products of theirs.

Casella wines "Yellow Tail" label has out sold Orlando's "Jacobs Creek" label continually on volume to the USA for around the last decade or more. This label is BIG.

There are some wine cask products of theirs that I have also been exposed to, that also move large volumes domestically.

As far as their new beer product goes, they initially distributed a carton of beer with 2 beer styles contained within it, & asked buyers of the product to vote online to which of those two styles they liked the most. Those 2 styles equate to one being a malty water, & the other being a malty water with an added sense of sugar in it.

They were/are both awful representations of what beer is & should be.

Anyway, the malty water one with the extra sugar taste won the vote apparently. This is now the packaged beer you will see in shops across Australia.

A new deal has been struck between Casella wines & Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA), that will now handle it's distribution & possible production.

Unless this product improves measurably over the next few years, CCA's gamble will cost them millions & millions in the long run.

To give you a closer call to what this stuff tastes like, it tastes like "Saunders Malt Extract" (YES a few on the forum will know what I'm talking about there!) brewed in nothing but water. I can't taste a single note of bitterness, nor a single aroma or flavour of any hop involved in the process.

It's God awful!

Good luck to anyone who is stupid enough to buy any of it!

Anthony.

I tried the "winning" brew about a month ago at a work event. I found it awful [sick] [sick]

I couldn't finish it and tipped half of it dwn the sink. I'm just glad it was a freebie.

As for the success of the product, don't confuse your taste with that of the general market. With the right marketing you could sell pretty much anything. If you put a picture of Miranda Kerr on the label then I would buy it [innocent]

I tried this the other week. Was Definitely not impressed with it.

On the First Sip I thought eh Just another lager nothing special about it. By the 3rd or 4th Mouth full I had to tip it down the sink. Couldnt handle the bad taste it left in my mouth.

As for marketing they are pushing it hard at the moment I know in my store they wanted massive displays on the floor as they had "Paid for the Space". I personally dont think it will do well but you never know

Archived