Coopers Community

FG for 2Can Stout.

Adam1525228690

Hi all, on advice from this forum, i put down a Coopers OS Stout, with an OS Dark Ale, with a kilo of dext.

In the fermenter now for seven days at around 18 - 20 degrees. FG is 1.010. Has been for two days now. Ready to bottle ? Tastes great out of the fermenter.

By the way, my first brew, Dark Ale has been in the bottle for about three weeks. I've sampled a couple and its a nice drop. Low carbonation, but has a nice head that beads. A little fruity, maybe too young yet to drink.

I would say it's done. But having been in the fermenter for only 7 days it will benefit from staying in there just a few more days to allow the yeast to clean up any off flavours it may have made. [biggrin]

Was thinking the same Biermoasta, the only worry i have is that my fermenter isnt sealed. Its one of those new ones from Coopers that doesnt use an airlock. So i'm thinking the quicker i bottle the better. Although the higher alcohol content in the finished wort should by rights keep any nastys out.

You don't need a sealed fermentor Adam. Airlocks do absolutely nothing apart from cause confusion and the new coopers fermentors are perfectly suitable to leave your beer in for an extra week.

I have an old style fermentor and just use a piece of glad wrap instead of a lid and aircrock. I routinely leave my beer in the fermentor for at least 2 weeks.

You don't need a sealed fermentor Adam. Airlocks do absolutely nothing apart from cause confusion and the new coopers fermentors are perfectly suitable to leave your beer in for an extra week.

I have an old style fermentor and just use a piece of glad wrap instead of a lid and aircrock. I routinely leave my beer in the fermentor for at least 2 weeks.

Ahhhh music to my ears MW. I needed to hear that. I always used to brew with an airlock years ago. But really was in the mind that its not necessary if your cleanliness is good, and temperature to allow mr yeasty to take over as soon as possible.

I'll let this one settle a bit more then. Although i'm keen to bottle her and put her to bed [bandit]

Got a wheaty in the pipeline, then a real ale experiment with wheat extract and hops. Then........Then........Then.......

I'm like a kid in a lolly shop [love]

As long as you're not lifting the lid or whacking anything against the fermenter' date=' there should still be a protective layer of CO2 gas which sits over the wort. [joyful] She'll be right staying in there for a few days more!

Lifted once dude, just to remove the krausen collar. Got a whack of alcohol and beautiful malt smells, nearly passed out [innocent]

Hey Adam,

My Toucan Stout's FG bottomed out at 1.014 so I'm sure yours at 1.010 will be right, Mate. What was your OG?

I must admit along with the many other bad brewing habits that I have I lift the lid on my FV every brew.[devil] I just can't help myself. I like seeing and sniffing how things are coming along. I don't think it's ruined any of my brews.[crying]

Chad

this is why alot of us use glapwrap (clingwrap) so we can see what is happening in there "without the risk" of removing the lid...

come to the wrapper side and never look back.. only down[lol]

I would move to the clingwrap side but for two reasons. For one my FV's opening is too wide for most (or all) cling wrap rolls.[pouty] Would using multiple strips do the job? And two the wife has put a ban on cling wrap in the house. there hasn't been any around these parts in months.[annoyed]

Sounds like a great brew. Less stress here. Your brew temps are relatively cool ~18-20, the brew should be quite happy to sit there for days, even weeks. And we are talking about a strong Stout. The alcohol in the brew alone, makes life pretty harsh for any undesirable bugs. Wish I could grab a sample? Gaz - WA

[biggrin] Hey all, newbie here with an Original Stout question. Just got started beginning of June with the Original Draught (turned out good only a few bottles left). Then brewed up an English bitter kit (drinking one right now, vrey nice) and just bottled the Dark Ale kit early this evening before starting the Original Stout. I brewed up my first Coopers Original Stout tonight with the following ingredients:

1 can Coopers Original Stout

1 Can Coopers Dark LME

500grams Light Dry Malt

11g Nottingham yeast pkg

23 liter mark in the new DIY kit

OG 1048

Temp 26 C

I used the Nottingham yeast instead of the kit yeast as the LHBS shop recommended it (I brought them a sample of the English Bitters and they both enjoyed it) with the Stout. Will this recipe brew up something decent, I didn't add any additional hops or anything. Just a little concerned there wont be enough yeast to ferment out what I added. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Agree with everything Muddy says.

Also I found another trick to help keep the beer in the bottle for 6 months is to brew a massive pipeline so you have that much beer it is easy to brew and forget.

I am looking at doing an RIS in the next couple of months (which will be my first All Grain) which I would like to age for years before drinking.

Thanks for the response Muddy. Now I'm worried but when I checked the fermenter a few minutes ago it was sitting at 24C, and the yeast has foamed up to about 2 inches from the top of the new DIY fermenter, and if you've seen the new design thats a lot of foaming. I thought that I was safe at that temperature based on the literature that came with the Stout kit and the Nottingham yeast pkg they both give broad range 21-27C. I live in the Northern part of Florida in the warmest part of the state. Summertime here avgs upper 90's, been closer to the 100 mark last couple weeks. I have the fermenter in the coldest part of the house AC set at 73F...cant afford to keep it any colder as the utility bills already outrageous. Will the 24C temperature make a skunky stout? Have had good results with the others so far, but Stout is my favorite and I'll be bummed if I muffed it. [crying]

Stouts and dark beers throw up a lot of foam David so don't worry about that. As for temperature, it is a good rule of thumb to aim for the lower end of the suggested temp range.

But don't worry - your beer should be ok. Maybe wrap a wet towel around it to try to keep it a little cooler. Long term you may want to set up a brew fridge - then you can brew what you want when you want [biggrin]

Archived