Coopers Community

first time brewer taste a bit like apple

PaulT18

only just tried my first brew (Coopers OS larger that came with the kit) as per instructions and it tastes a bit like apples, my question is was it fermented at to high of a temp 24 degrees?? and will this taste reduce with more time in the bottle??

long time drinker first time brewer,

I to just made my first brew made the pale ale (Coopers)not in the bottle yet. mine taste like bananas and looks very weak.Had OG of 1038 and first FG check of 1005 today @1845.do you check FG at the same time the next day?My temp sat @ 22.

Gilg. Mine sat stable at 1012 for 3 days before I put it into the bottles and I used BE1 which came in the kit and I have read on here that you can get a higher FG with BE1. It just doesn't taste right, don't know wether to ditch it and start again or wait??

How long has it been in the bottle Paul? You need to give it time (months are better than weeks). Whatever you do don't ditch it [rightful]

Gilg - Just leave it a day or 2 before you take another reading (at least more than 24 hrs). It is a good idea of getting in the habit of fermenting your beer for 2 weeks. The first week for fermentation to complete and the second week for the beer to clear up a bit. Patience is key - It gets easier with time [biggrin]

I followed the kit and used BE2 (using the old K.I.S.S rule for now).Will bottle when get the FG x2.Give it 2wks in the bottle and try and try @ 4wks to see if any change.Never Ditch a Brew I say[crying] .How bad can it be really?

Muddy. Mines been in the bottle 2 weeks so I'm hoping it will get better with time like you said earlier, I guess the colder weather may slow things up as well although I have kept them inside since bottling.

Paul - when I first made the lager can that came with the Coopers kit it took months to be drinkable. Even when it was drinkable it was no better than a VB or a tooheys new. Every brew since then has been better (I've never understood why they don't put a decent beer in the kit - Something like a Pale Ale with some malt.).

Fermenting at high temps will sometimes give you a banana taste/smell. Also if you pitched the yeast with the wort temp remaining too high for too long. Another is if you under pitch your yeast. I know a few people who actually like the taste and so they regularly aim to achieve this without the use of bananas.[pinched]

A regular complaint is that the beer sometimes has a noticeable green apple taste and/or aroma to it. This taste is caused by acetaldehyde, which is a product of the fermentation process.

Yeasts are sensitive to temperature, and different yeasts prefer different brewing temperatures. Check that your fermenter\u2019s temperature is in the correct range for the type of beer you are brewing; basically too cold and infection can occur, too hot and the yeast will die.

Contamination of your brew can occur through inadequate cleaning of your brewing equipment, or waiting too long before pitching the yeast, allowing other microbes to establish in the wort.

The use of cane or corn sugars in your brew can also be a cause of the apple taste & aroma.

I sometimes detect a little green apple if I'm a little too eager to taste the brew, almost always it's there at a week in the bottle, sometimes at 2 weeks depending on how warm a temperature I have the bottles at to carbonate.

Just give it some more time another week or 2 and that green apple will be long gone and you'll have some great beer.

Rarely it's a sign of infection, but it's just too new in the bottle and more likely to disappear.

I store all my beer in boxes inside a cupboard in my shed I just tried my first bottle of OS Draught and i think it's a little flat the temps here in Newcastle have been rather cool especially at night would that contribute to the lack of fizz due to the slowing down of second fermentation? It was two weeks in the FV by the way.

I store all my beer in boxes inside a cupboard in my shed I just tried my first bottle of OS Draught and i think it's a little flat the temps here in Newcastle have been rather cool especially at night would that contribute to the lack of fizz due to the slowing down of second fermentation? It was two weeks in the FV by the way.

Shed temps would be too low for secondary at this time of year Trent - bring em inside for the first couple of weeks. If you haven't got room you can store the kids/family/pets in the shed - just crack a window and give them some drinking water [biggrin]

Acetaldahyde is also a product of high initial ferment temps,or too high for too long. So are fusel alcohols. But,when the brew reaches FG,let it sit in primary on the yeast cake for at least another week. Then taste a shot or so to see if all's well,or needs more time. If it's mostly gone,then bottle it up. Give it at least 3 weeks at room temp (21C). Maybe even 6-8 weeks. I've done 7-8 weeks,lots of carbonation & a bit deeper color,but flavors suffer a bit. That's if you like'em a bit on the malty side,as carbonation sharpens flavors. Kind of like when adding salt to food.

I didn't kknow the family and pets could come in side when brewing?

had 1005 for 2 days now but going to let it sit another week like you said Muddy.[lol]

I doubt it will go any lower than 1005 if it has read the same for 2 days. I would bottle within a few days rather than a week.

I currently am brewing a ESB Nutbrown ale I was given by a mate. It was only a few months to expire. I used Safale 04 which is a very good dry yeast and it is bubbling still after 14 days. Average temp has been 18 to 20. Current gravity is still at 1011 and will check in 24 hours. Is the airlock level or still pushing up the water even though is might not be still bubbling.?

I would wait the extra week.

Waiting the extra week will clear your beer up alot, which for some people give it a nicer look (where as I like cloudy beer).

Another benefit of leaving it for longer in the fermenter is that the yeast doesn't know if its in the bottle or not so it will also start to heal the off flavours that are produced like the apple one mentioned above.

In saying this it will also need atleast 2 - 3 weeks in the bottle to carb.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my first kit and although the apple taste never completely went away it did mellow some. My guess is that the taste is a result of 1. fermenting to hot and 2. not pitching enough yeast. As you brew more your beer will get better.

I would wait the extra week.

Waiting the extra week will clear your beer up alot, which for some people give it a nicer look (where as I like cloudy beer).

Another benefit of leaving it for longer in the fermenter is that the yeast doesn't know if its in the bottle or not so it will also start to heal the off flavours that are produced like the apple one mentioned above.

In saying this it will also need atleast 2 - 3 weeks in the bottle to carb.

I have a OS Pale on at the moment I used nottingham yeast and am running a little bit low on supplies so I was planning on washing and re-using the yeast. It has stopped fermenting for 4 days now and smells and tastes good and as its a pale I prefer it a little cloudy as well. Is this enough time to let settle out and as I'm re-using the yeast does this change the settling time?

Archived