Coopers Community

Replacing the Seal On your Kegs - How Often??

Ollie

Hey Fellas,

Was just looking on Craft Brewer at getting a couple more kegs...

I noticed on there that in the blurb about buying 2nd hand ones off them they recommend replacing all the seals becasue they can "get flavoured" from the previous brews that were in them.

This sounds a little odd to me and possibly a marketing ploy but not being very experienced in this I thought I would put it out there and ask if any of you have ever heard of this??

Given that this is true, do you replace the seals every time you put a new batch in your kegs??

Also how often should you replace the seals in general if this is not ture??

Thanks gents [innocent]

Yes it is true. All the 2nd hand Cornelius kegs once contained cordial syrup.

I change all the seals on any 2nd hand keg I purchase as I have no idea what was in them previously. Then I just change the seals whenever they no longer produce a good seal, which I am yet to do. I also use a lube on my seals every once and a while.

I learnt the hard way - one of the first kegs I bought gave the beer a harsh lemon character [pinched] However, others have been okay. I guess it depends on what has been through the keg and how long residual is left to fester...

http://www.kegsonline.com.au

$99 for two kegs that have been cleaned, pressure tested and fitted with new seals (mine arrived with the seals packaged separately to be fitted myself).

They WERE $99 for two DELIVERED, not sure how much delivery is at the moment.

That is a good price for sure and when p&h is factored in, you just need to do a comparison. Craftbrewer is just as cheap if not cheaper in my case as I am sure p&h is around $20 for each keg to Tassie then you get hit with a $3.50 surcharge on top of that.

That is a good price for sure and when p&h is factored in, you just need to do a comparison. Craftbrewer is just as cheap if not cheaper in my case as I am sure p&h is around $20 for each keg to Tassie then you get hit with a $3.50 surcharge on top of that.

Ross (Craftbrewer) will beat any advertised price on kegs by 5%

Archived