Coopers Community

fermenting without krausen?

Dave

Hi all, i have a batch fermenting at the moment but not making any krausen. Has this happened to anyone else and if so is it very common? I've never had it before. I even pitched an extra lot of yeast in cause i was worried even though it has trub forming, condensation and the hydrometer reading has dropped. Just no Krausen?

Hi Dave - as long as your hydrometer readings are dropping it all sounds fine. You will get many varieties of krausen from virtually non-existent to volcanic. Even with the same ingredients fermentation can often be very different from brew to brew.

Trust your hydrometer [rightful]

Yep as muddy said, as long as your hydrometer readings keep falling, you are alright.

I've found over the few brews that I have done so far, that krausen can vary greatly depending on what ingredients you put in, and the can kit you are using can have a big impact as well. Last batch I did was a different brand (a draught), and had very little, if any, krausen at all. Ive got a coopers mexican cerveza on now and got quite a bit more of krausen from that compared to the other brand.

Dave - here's a few things to look out for when making beer:

1. Dropping gravity (this is king)

2. Condensation on the lid or glad wrap

3. Krausen

4. Trub forming

You may have a couple of these signs or you may have all but just noting if you have any of them should be enough to put your mind at rest.

Hi all' date=' i have a batch fermenting at the moment but not making any krausen. Has this happened to anyone else and if so is it very common? I've never had it before. I even pitched an extra lot of yeast in cause i was worried even though it has trub forming, condensation and the hydrometer reading has dropped. Just no Krausen?[/quote']

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

Maybe it is just the lag time for the yeast to multiply before consuming all your goodness. Depending on how viable your yeast is, it can sometimes take a little longer than 24 hours for a krausen to start.

I am guessing you haven't long pitched the yeast, so if this, then patience is a virtue. Other than that, I agree with what Muddy posted.

My current brew, a lager with ale yeast, did not have a krausen until 2 days after pitching the yeast and barely any at all.

Thanks guys, I had just not seen it do that before, it had been a bout a day and a bit and normally within a day it is going nicely. I knew it was fermenting, i was just worried that perhaps the yeast i pitched was a dud and it was a wild strain fermenting it resulting in no krausen. Taste seems fine although it's still so early it's too sickly sweet to tell much.

Archived