Coopers Community

Force carb'd my keg but not much fizz??

Ollie

G'day guys,

I force carb'd my first keg on Friday night as per the instructions in the FAQ section but with one small change...

Instead of leaving it at 43psi in the fridge for a few days (I wanted some beer for the weekend) I took a mates advice and after 2 hours of being at 43psi I dropped it to pouring pressure 14psi and left it in the fridge overnight/Saturday.

Come Saturday evening I poured myself a few beers only to find that there was only a very slight carbonation happening in my keg.

My mate reckons if I just leave it it should come good but given that his method did not work first time round (although it seems tto have done many times in the past for him!) I am a little dubious.

Has anyone ever tried the method I used above?? And or can anyone give me some tips on getting it up to the right carbonation level.

Should I just do it all again or should I leave it?? I just dont want to ruin the beer! [pinched]

Any input will be great fellas!

Cheers[biggrin]

Just leave it for a little bit. To me it sounds like the CO2 hasnt properly gone into the liquid.

Leave it for a couple of days and try again. If this doesn't fix it try setting it to 16 PSI.

Ollie - there are many ways to carb a keg. Don't worry you have not ruined your beer and it can be fixed.

Just set your beer to pouring pressure you want and leave it for a couple of days. The beer will carb perfect then.

Something to think about for future:

You can set beer to pour pressure and it should be right after about a week. You will not over carb your keg this way.

or

Set beer to pour pressure and gently shake the keg until you hear no more hissing noise (gas entering the keg). Leave it for a little while to settle down then pour yourself a beer :)

(You can not over carb this way either.)

or

set the pressure to 40PSI and rock and roll for about a minute. Leave for a while the set pouring pressure and pour a beer :)

(Do this right or you could over carb your keg. Then although savagable it is a PITA to get right again)

or

Set pressure to 30PSI leave for 24-30 hours (pending keg temp) set pressure to pouring pressure and Bob's your Mother's brother.

or

Set pressure to 30PSI for 24 hours then set to pouring pressure. It will be right to pour in about 2-3 days and no chance to overcarb.

There are other ways to carb too but I tend to do all the above depending on my situation and how quick I want my beer.

Cheers

Bill - I think that was the most educational, comprehensive response I have ever had on this forum. I can genuinely say that after reading your tips I am well educated on the art of force carbing a keg. You bloody legend! Cheers mate![cool]

well I only just now put a Canadian Blonde into the FV and need it in 11 days for a poker night I have soon. No fancy recipe just quick, short and sharp :)

1kg dex

500g LDM

The can and filled to 23L

Wacked it in the fridge at ~20C and it should be cooked by next Wednesday. That will give me 3 days to carb it. From a warm keg I'll set the pressure at 30PSI for about 30 hours then set to pouring pressure and leave it at that. It should be right by Saturday.

Cheers Bill!

A little off topic now - But What do you think of the Canadian Blonde? I have seen heaps of posts popping up about them... I am thinking of trying one but not sure what it compares to from something I would recognise??? Is it much like a Coopers Pale or more like one of the low carb Blonde's we have here, because if it is like the latter I think I will pass. Prefer to go thirtsy than make a keg of that [pinched]

I personally think the Canadian Blonde is lacking something. I would like to try it with maybe some Light Crystal and Amarillo but didn't have the time to stuff around with it last night. I think this is a beer that is actually better while it is young which suits me at the moment as I need it in very short time.

It is clear and is golden in colour. A clean and crisp taste on the palate and easy to drink in Summer. It is popular with the girls and doesn't last long on a poker night. (I have up to 32 people on these nights).

I prefer the Coopers Pale Ale to the Canadian Blonde. However, if you need a beer done quickly that a lot of people will like and to drink before maturity this is the one.

PS, the Blonde has low IBU and would make an excellent base can to experiment with.

Archived