Coopers Community

Glass bottles

Phil Glass

Anyone know of retail outlets that sell good quality glass 750ml(or bigger) bottles in the Sydney metro area?

I've tried Ebay but that was unreliable(mainly VB bottles when Coopers were advertised).

I know that I could just buy a couple of cases from the local bottlo but the minister of finance will not approve that purchase when I have around 14 full cases of beer sitting waiting to be drunk.

The imperial stout recipe is one that I'd like to brew soon so as to be ready to drink in winter 2012.

Any help much welcomed.

Cheers

Phil

Absolute Homebrew in St Mary's (not really metro syd)

Real Brewing on EBAY They also have a special on growlers

I believe The Brew Shop in Peakhurst may carry them, I know for sure ESB Brewing Supplies also in Peakhurst does HERE

Make sure you get nice thick ones if not buying from a home brew store.

Hope this helps

I have no idea about Sydney but I can suggest to use the excuse of wanting to reculture the yeast from Coopers. That way you get the bottles, the yeast and the beer [joyful]

I would be just buying the Coopers ones. I went to the LHBS here and he was charging $4 a longneck. My thoughts were I can pick up a Coopers Sparkling Ale longneck for 50c more.

I went home with 3 cases of Sparkling Ale, recultured alot of yeast, got a lot of bottles and a few people drunk, all for 50c per bottle more.

Plus I get the cool Coopers logo sitting on the side of the bottle.

$4 a longneck? Highway robbery. They called Ned Kelly Brewing Supplies?

You can get swing top bottles from nearly all discount ($2) shops for around $1!

ESB sell a box of 28 x 650ml crown seal amber beer bottles for $28

Me, I am lucky, my mates know the deal.

They MUST bring FULL coopers pale ale longies or stubbies (or any craft-beer in crown seals) as a trade-off for drinking my beer - on tap or bottled (return the empties).

Also, my local pub keeps all their Grolsch empties for me.

Still, not enough bottles - lol

Haha you will get there with the bottles.

Currently I have 34 milkcrates full of bottles (that doesn't include my nice little collections of 1.5 L grolsch bottles. In combination with alot of beer drinking and an old homebrewer giving them to me makes life good.

It would take me an awefully long time to drink that much beer.

34 milkcrates of empties...

Lined up they would reach Cowra!

No definately not empties, I have probably 10 milkcrates that are empty as I had just recieved them. I wouldn't want to line them up all the way to Cowra, last time I was there I got mugged

When I decided it was approaching the time I would get back into home brewing I started grabbing the odd 3 for $15 sparkling's while at the grog shop & also put the word out to a couple mates to save their coopers long necks for me.It didn't take long to build up a enough for a couple of brews.I'm still collecting..[joyful]

They are the only bottles I use as I have heard of thin bottles chipping or even shattering when being re-capped.I also have a couple of 568ml L.C pint bottles someone gave me which are also thick walled bottles.I use a bench capper which is a lot easier on the bottles & find it caps the coopers 375 ml ok.

I wouldn't want to line them up all the way to Cowra' date=' last time I was there I got mugged[/quote']

I actually grew up in Cowra - i didnt know they had a home brew shop there, unless they have recently got one? I went back there 2 years ago, people are still dropkicks.

I actually grew up in Cowra - i didnt know they had a home brew shop there, unless they have recently got one? I went back there 2 years ago, people are still dropkicks.

No, Matty is from BLAYNEY, I quipped his collection of bottles would reach from there TO Cowra.

I was joking, I never lived in Cowra but spent all my childhood school hols there, looooooong ago.

My LHBS store isn't too local infact its actually in Molong (about an hour away), but when I work in Dubbo and Orange i find myself visiting quite often.

I don't like Cowra a great deal, but I have met some nice people there (my partners aunty for one).

Cowra was great when I was a kid, I haven't been back for years, I really don't think many relatives but distant cousins live (or alive) there or near there anymore. My family has a long history in the area, pioneering farm and grazing land.

back on topic; do you use any of the HBS with an online presence?

Craftbrewer, Absolute HomeBrew and ESB Brewing supplies are all good. Also, for equipment and hops, with the AUD so strong, The US is good.

My LHBS store isn't too local infact its actually in Molong (about an hour away), but when I work in Dubbo and Orange i find myself visiting quite often.

I would have thought Bathurst would be closer than Molong from Blayney? Go to Country Brewer, in Russel Street. They should sort you out. Probably have more stuff than the one in Molong.

Yeah they are alot closer Greg, He is fairly good as well, but I barely go near bathurst and I find myself driving through Molong weekly.

In saying that I always drop in when I am in Bathurst, can't miss that oppotunity.

Archived