Coopers Community

temperate swing

MichaelH23

My first born is bottled. But I am worrying about temperature swing. The kit says to keep above 18c and I have maintained that but I as I am using heat bags in the cupboard I am concerned about the temp rising & falling all the time. Will the swing affect the brew?

In the bottles it isnt too bad. If the brew gets colder it will just need longer in the bottle to be carbonated. I have all of my bottles in around 15C at the moment and they still seem to carb up after 2 weeks.

Thanks Matty. My main concern is the swing variation. I can be away for days at a time so I am sure the temp is varying between mid 20's to mid teens now. Will it affect the brew greatly if temp is that far from being constant??

Michael' date=' I have had some big swings up here say 25c during day and 16c at night. At this time 13 brews to date have had no problems. Mind you that may not work for everyone. I don`t think i`d worry about it.[/quote']

Stewie, I would seriously try to control those swings if possible mate. You may have good beer now but you will have a better one when you do. A few ice blocks or/and a heat belt is all you need. If you can chop even 3 degrees from either end of the scale that will halve your variance and make a big difference.

In the taste of your beer.

My first born is bottled. But I am worrying about temperature swing. The kit says to keep above 18c and I have maintained that but I as I am using heat bags in the cupboard I am concerned about the temp rising & falling all the time. Will the swing affect the brew?

The temperature swing is in the bottles correct? I don't maintain alot of temperature control when the beer is in the bottles but I guess I would have some major temperature changes or cold snaps [lol]. I seem to get very nice beer to the point mates bring me ingredients to make them batches.

Since I had to store mine in the garden shed (dont have a garage and no room inside the house), the temp goes up and down quite a bit in there, I ended up sticking the bottles in my large Icebox since it is somewhat insulated (You can use them to keep things hot or cold, I have seen caterers use them for storing hot roasts in during transport to keep them warm), which seems to do a reasonable job of keeping them at the right temperature throughout the day/night.

Since I had to store mine in the garden shed (dont have a garage and no room inside the house)' date=' the temp goes up and down quite a bit in there, I ended up sticking the bottles in my large Icebox since it is somewhat insulated (You can use them to keep things hot or cold, I have seen caterers use them for storing hot roasts in during transport to keep them warm), which seems to do a reasonable job of keeping them at the right temperature throughout the day/night.[/quote']

Yes, you can use them for hot or cold. They are used for their insulation qualities which is good for any temp. Just like a fridge or freezer.

Archived