Coopers Community

Liquid Rice Malt

Trusty1

Howdy Brewers

I found some liquid rice malt at Coles yesterday. I'm at work, so don't have all the details, like the brand etc, but it was in the health section opposite the bread. It is 500ml in a glas jar, was like $3.50 or so and says it is 100% rice (no water, additives, preservatives) and talks about the glycemic qualities of the stuff and uses the words maltose, glucose etc. I'll update when I get home.

I used the (Brewcraft I think) Japanese rice malt in a brew and thought it was ok, without having too much effect on the brew (to my inexperienced palate anyway, I just like beer!). This stuff is darker than the Japanese stuff. I might use this and nothing else with a Can Blonde I have at home pleading to brewed.

I was looking for the canned barley malt that Lee used for her marinated pork ribs. Looked interesting! Coles sponser MKR, that's why I was looking there...[pouty]

I do a bit of cooking and one Sichuan dish I do uses rice meal. Basically to make it you dry roast rice and the blend it to a powder. It's a bit like flour. If the Rice Malt is 100% rice, would it not be the same thing?

Also if this is the case, would this be able to be used to make Japanese beer? I've been to Japan a few times, and love the Suntory and Ebisu all malts. Sapporo is the goods too!

There are plenty of recipes out there which call for Japanese Rice malt. The ones Ive seen also use a base kit, like the Can Blonde or MEx Cerv and also use some other fermentable. I'm thinking this will be a good experiment to only use the 500ml and the Can Blonde, and also throw a mid strength beer for quaffing one afternoon!

Beer is made from the malting and steeping of any grain (basically), so rice wine is actually a beer (rice is a grain), but the Japanese beers you mention would be based on barley (i am making unfounded assumptions here) and possibly use Rice Malt as an adjunct. Do a google search for those beer recipes and it will tell you want you need to know. There is a fella on another forum who grinds his grain up into a powder in a coffe grinder before steeping, straining and brewing. You could do the same with rice, I reckon[unsure] !

[lol] I've just got back with a can of malt to make Lee's ribs - Great minds huh [biggrin]

I haven't noticed the rice malt in the supermarket, only in health food stored.

I look forward to an update [cool]

Where did you find the can of Malt, or ist coopers light liquid malt?

The moderator is a bit touchy[kissing] ! is there a problem calling us Aussies, or the Americans Yanks, english POMs etc? SCHEEEZZ![surprised

I recognised the malt on TV as I'd seen it in the supermarket many times before. I got it at Woolies - I think it is with the spreads but I didn't really take much notice as I knew exactly where it was and didn't take much notice of what else was in the aisle. I'll have a look exactly what section next time I'm there.

Trusty - I just popped into Woolies to check what section the malt was in. It is with the spreads.

A little more info (which you may already have) is that it is called Saunders Malt Extract and is in a small resealable tin like the ones they put milo in.

ddmxet.gif

This can looks slightly different to the one I have but the label is the same.

this is what i was thinking about using rice extract in.

i'm calling it cream ale.

1.7kg Can. Blonde

500g LDM

566g rice syrup (organic)

300g dex... or should it be honey?

recultured Seirra Neveda PA yeast

23L water

dry hopped with cascade.

Cream ales are top fermented, cold lagered, then blended with another ale (maybe Cooper's Real).

chad

thanks Muddy, saw it this morning. $10 for 1kg. just as easy to use the Coopers Light liquid Malt, me thinks.

I made up the following this afternoon:

\uf0a7\t1.7 kg can blonde

\uf0a7\t0.5kg Liquid Rice Malt

\uf0a7\t0.256kg Maltodextrin

\uf0a7\t0.304kg Dextrose

Rec. Sparkling Ale Yeast, pitched at 24C

23L

OG 1036 (with inaccurate Brig Hydro)

The Rice Malt tasted like honey!

After soaking the can blonde for 10 minutes the label came off when opening the can. Under it was another can blonde label. a different colour blue and the glass was a handle.

Do I win a prize or something? (like the willy wonkers chocolate label comp?)

After soaking the can blonde for 10 minutes the label came off when opening the can. Under it was another can blonde label. a different colour blue and the glass was a handle.

Do I win a prize or something? (like the willy wonkers chocolate label comp?)

Was it like this one: http://www.homebrewmegastore.co.uk/shop/coopers-canadian-blonde.html

I think it's just the old style label. Why both were on there... I don't know. But I'm pretty sure you haven't won a prize [tongue]

This double label problem should be sent straight to the merchandising page for the powers that be to investigate. Just what are we buying? No wonder some of my brews don\u2019t turn out like they are supposed to! Not am I confused with yeast packets but now I will need a pendulum to douse the brew cans. Do you think I should get a crystal pendulum? [innocent]

Weggl

Archived