Coopers Community

Steam Ale

weggl

Last night the kids (35 to 41) took my wife and myself to a very fancy restaurant \u201cWhite Water\u201d, down on Manly beach. The food was wonderful; I had 2 glasses of J/Squire\u2019s Porter. This was my first taste of Porter and I must say it was a very pleasant drink. However I then had a J/S Steam Ale, did not like it very much at all, I don\u2019t know what the hops were but I thought it was on a par with my latest throw-out.

If anybody knows the hops they use in this steam stuff please let me know so I can avoid them.

Warren

Sounds like steam ale is a bit of a steamer Warren[pinched] (had to get in first, James Squire beers i have had before have all been good. I wonder if it had been stored correctly, I used to work at a lot of hotels and restaurants and used too wince every time I saw their beer deliveries sitting in the yard in the sun waiting to be put away[pinched]. Might be worth a try from another source but I'm not speaking from first hand experience from steam ale.

Cheers

There is no mention of it on the Malt Shovel Brewery site that I can find. You've got me curious now!

I'm probably wrong but aren't steam beers lagers but brewed at ale temps. Just a morsel of info that has probably gotten itself confused in my thick head.

The only local Steam Ale I can find at the moment is Mountain Goat Organic Steam Ale.

steamale.jpg

This is a brand-newy for us and is replacing our Pale Ale. The Steam is a crisp certified organic-ale. We incorporate some wheat-malt in the grist make up and ferment it cool. We use Hallertau and Citra hops along with a light dose of Galaxy flowers at the end. This is a conservatively hopped beer.

Archived