Coopers Community

Bulk Priming - How?

Ollie

Hi All,

I am going to need to learn to bulk prime as I have just changed from bottles to kegs.

What is the best way to do it... No no no let me re-phrase that. How do you do it!? [lol] I have no idea. I am guessing that you cant just drop a packet of coopers sugar tablets in the keg! [lol] I have no idea! Hoping one of you out there with some knowledge on this can give me the helping hand to get me on my way [biggrin]

If you are kegging it would be easier for you to just carbonate with the CO2 if you plan to drink the beer sooner rather than later. Nevertheless, what type of sugar do you plan to use if you are going to bulk prime?

Do you have a secondary fermenter/container etc to rack into or do you plan just to do it straight into the keg?

Drop 1/3 cup white sugar into the sanitised keg. Fill with beer, seal, invert and give it a shake to check the seal. Then leave it sitting upright to secondary ferment for at least 14 days.

I think the FAQ's has all the answers for kegging, and there are plenty of other websites that give all the answers for the most FAQ's about kegging. I.e. country brewer, copper tun, aussiehomebrewer, or just google homebrew kegging.

If using the 19L kegs, place 1/3 cup of white sugar in your cleaned and sanitised keg, then transfer your beer with via a 10mm plastic tube which reaches to the bottom of the keg to reduce oxygenisation of the beer. I have a little bottler cut 1/3 - 2/3, with the 1/3 connected to the tap on the FV and the 2/3 connected to the end of the plastic tube (I take the valve off for kegging) and keep it just below the surface of the beer. When filled to the weld mark, about 25mm below the in tube, put the lid on, invert and make sure it is sealed. Place the keg in a spot that will maintain >18C for 4 weeks, 2 weeks if you are in a hurry, but remember you are naturally conditioning your beer and it should improve with age. Hook up and enjoy.

You could also force carb it if you are thirsty. Do a search on here for a few different techniques.

Good luck.

Gentlemen! Awesome, that sounds heaps easier than I was anticipating! That makes the dropping of two sugar lollies into 20 long necks look like hard manual labour compared to this![lol] I love it!

I have a little bottler cut 1/3 - 2/3' date=' with the 1/3 connected to the tap on the FV and the 2/3 connected to the end of the plastic tube [/quote']

Just curious Trusty.... why do you put the 2/3 at the end of the tube?... I usually just take the valve off the bottler and fit the syphon to that and just leave the other end at the bottom of the keg until it's full.[unsure]

I also use this set up for bottling. It's just easier to have the FV on the bench and the bottles lined up on the floor and move the bottler on the end of a tube from bottle to bottle rather than picking each bottle up, filling and placing it back down again.

It is 1/3 - 2/3 because I needed a 'male' spigot to enter the 'female' socket of the tap (the 1/3) and a piece long enough to get to the bottom of the bottle to activate the bottling valve.

Sorry mate, I'm lost now. I thought we were talking about kegs??

I gather you have 1/3 at one end of the syphon and 2/3 at the other. What I don't get is why you want the end in when filling a keg?

Sorry mate, I'm lost now. I thought we were talking about kegs??

I gather you have 1/3 at one end of the syphon and 2/3 at the other. What I don't get is why you want the end in when filling a keg?

Trusty,

I am with Bill here... I am a little confused too, do you do this for a keg as well as when you use bottles?

Also speaking of the tubing, what do you guys reckon is the best way to snitise the racking tube? A no rinse sanitiser just pumped through??

I use the same piece of tube with the short piece of bottler on one end and the longer piece on the other for filling kegs and bottles. No siphon here. The short piece goes into the outlet of the tap on the FV with the longer piece of the bottler on the end of the 10mm tube, which is about 1.5m long. Because there is the hard piece of plastic (the bottler) on the end it makes it easy to keep it just below the surface when filling the keg, think lifting the tube as the level of beer rises, this minimises the surface of the tube submerged by the beer, minimising the exposure to possible infection (even though the tube is clean and sanitised, you just never know) and also reduces oxygenisation of the brew by reducing splashing compared to just filling the keg by dropping the beer in from the top of the keg.

Also speaking of the tubing, what do you guys reckon is the best way to snitise the racking tube? A no rinse sanitiser just pumped through??

sanitise the outside at the same time as doing other equipment, i.e. in your FV, it should be submerged which will have it filled and the I.D should also be sanitised, but to make sure, when finished hook it up to the tap on the FV and empty it through the tube to ensure the I.D. is sanitised.

Ah ok, I think I'm with you now. I just use the bottler in the tap with the end removed and my syphon hose on that. I then place the other end of the hose on the bottom of my keg and turn the tap on. This stays at the bottom until the keg is full which stops turbulance which may occur at the surface if I was to follow the beer level up as it fills.

I just leave the syphon hose coiled up sitting in the keg cleaning solution until I am ready to use it again. Just rinse with water and spray with Starsan.

Archived