Coopers Community

Pitching Yeast

Damo

Hi all brewers , I had a bit of a dabble in home brewing about 10 years ago . Then the wife & I had a couple of Kids & as a result of being busy , I have recently picked up the interest again. I would Be interested to know opinion on stirring in the yeast or just leaving it springled on top of mix/bubbles.

I sprinkle on top too. I have a fobia that if I stir it in then it will all cling to the spoon and I won't have it ALL in the brew. I like to get every little sucker working for me that I can [cool]

I go by the "sprinkle dry yeast and stir liquid yeast" school of thought. The exception is if I think the yeast is not in the best condition in which case I would re-hydrate it and stirring in.

I have experimented with the stirring, re-hydrating and sprinkling of yeast and found that any benefits of not just sprinkling it in is minimal - you gain a couple of hours headstart on fermentation at the most.

Thanks to everyone for their advice , it seems from your experiences it doesn't really matter,so I think since I am only using dry yeast at the moment I will probably go cautiously & just sprinkle on top & not stir from now on.

[happy]

Cheers

Archived