Coopers Community

First Toucan

McFrankel

Brewed my first toucan last week. Had a can of dark ale and a can of lager both just with in expiry date and picked them up for a steal [biggrin]. So I decided that it wouldn't hurt to experiment due to the cost savings. ended up as:

1 can lager

1 can dark ale

1 12 grm sachet of english ale yeast

100 grm of brown sugar

400 grm of dextrose

filled to 21 litres

wating til this sunday to bottle but did sample today. Noticed a burnt toffee character [roll] which was rather pleasent. Will be interested to see how it will go after being bottled for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok well I think this is a winner [biggrin] Chilled one of these little fellas down and cracked it today. It has a lovely dark/ruby colour with a nice head (i think this was helped by the ice cold glass). Where my last dark ale has a lovely bitter chocolate aroma this one had a hint of toffee about it. I am really looking forward to it developing with age and hoping that contined time in the bottle will also improve the head on it [love]

Rocket fuel Mark. The brew calculator says OG 64, FG 14 A% 7.5.

But the KIT & EXTRACT BEER DESIGNER brings it in at A% 6.6 so I guess its somewher in the middle.\tWhat were the OG and FG readings?\t\t\t

\t\t\t\t

Weggl

It sounds good to me. I have a lager and a dark ale kit waiting so I might give it a try.

I was thinking of putting the stout kit with it but I also brew for my friends and I seem to be the only stout drinker

Yes I guess you could class this as a strong ale. [devil] SG was 1064 and FG was 1020 so I think that will put it up around 6.9% range. It is definately one to sup when you are not planning on driving anywhere... It was worth the experimentation [love]

Archived