Coopers Community

All you polluters

weggl

When \u201cbig Julie\u201d our prime minister, brings in her, sorry, Bob Browns ETS, watch the price of brewing products skyrocket. After all large breweries and we produce beer and copious amounts of Co2. We are in fact, according to Bob and Julie \u201cplanet polluters\u201d.

Don\u2019t think that these facts will escape the bean counter. They will be looking for every avenue to collect revenue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Weggl

Ps. Went to Big W twice this week, no Pale Ale. Today I decided to ring to see if they had any, just to save myself a futile trip. Their desk put me through to a woman who went to check; no they still don\u2019t have any. I asked her when we could expect some? She said if the order for more has been placed it could take up to 3 weeks. What are they running down there?

Weggl again.

Anytime that I'm in big W and they are out of stock for an item I'm after, I only have to get a staff worker to zap the bar code next to the price with their bar code zapper thingy and they are able to tell me when and how many of that item was re-ordered and when it will be back in stock. 3 weeks for a delivery? doesen't sound right.

I'll back Weggl up on this. We both go to the same Big W and there computer system is unable to tell them when or how much of an item is coming in (at least for home brew anyway). I know it doesn't sound logical or even possible but this is what they always tell me).

Weggl, in that case my two-can stout (Coopers Stout + Dark Ale + dex)currently testing the limits of the krausen kollar, is a major environmental hazard - hope the Green police don't find out. At least, not until I can "sequester" it. But just wait'll they figure out what we're exhaling - pure CO2 pollution!

The C02 required to grow the barley and hops we use to make beer far exceeds the C02 produced during fermentation and serving, therefore we are actually in credit [rightful]

Water consumption in the brewing process is a far greater concern. Even an extremely efficient brewery uses 5Lt water to produce 1Lt of beer, this can go as high as 20Lt water for 1Lt!

Clown,

Are your figures correct? If so then the breweries will have to go Micro. My water for cooling is about 40L + 20L in fermenter =60 L for 23L of beer = 2.6L PER 23 L.

As far as us being in CO2 credit I take your point, we will need a spokesman to represent us in parliament. Any body know a Polly who is a homebrewer?

Anthony,

Don\u2019t worry the Clown has just solved the problem on the C02 issue.

Muddy,

Apart from the fact that you got your brackets back to front, We are on the same wavelength as far as the Big W are concerned. The system of ordering as far as Coopers are concerned is bloody hopeless. You see if I were on the board, this Big W issue in our area, would have been sorted long ago.

Weggl,

Clown,

Are your figures correct?

You omitted the water used for cleaning and sanitation...

As of 2003 in

Bamforth, Charles W., 1952\u2013

Beer : tap into the art and science of brewing / by Charles Bamforth\u20142nd ed

Table 10.1

Inputs for the Production of 100 Hectoliters of Beer

Input Efficient brewery Less efficient brewery

Malt 1.5 tons 1.8 tons

Water 500 hectoliters 2,000 hectoliters

Energy 15 gigajoules 35 gigajoules

Electricity 1000 kilowatt hours 2000 kilowatt hours

Admittedly, breweries are improving, for example using the water from heat exchangers/chillers for cleaning duties.

At least here in Oz and in the UK we use the yeast to make Vegemite and Marmite [love] [love]

Martin Clown,

You are correct I did forget the cleaning bit, add 20 L.

We were talking about CO2 but you bought up the water use.

Now growing grain and malting barley, I do not believe should be part of the equation. Growing of these crops is a primary industry. Beer making is a secondary industry, so to lump the 2 together is a moot point. After all barley and malt are used for other purposes than just beer making. One example is, when I was a kid, malt was one of the things we use to have on bread, un-hoped of cause, delightful stuff on bread.

Next time you have a can of un-hoped malt spread a little over butted bread and you will get a pleasant surprise.

Weggl

Archived