Coopers Community

Where to get Products

Matty A

Hi Guys,

Just having a few problems sourcing some stuff. I am wondering where you guys buy hops from (in particular Nelson Sauvin). I am looking to make the Extra Stong Vintage Ale on the How to Brew section. My LHBS doesn't supply these hops so I have used Cascade for a past batch but would like to try the Nelson hop.

Also my LHBS doesn't supply the best sanitiser that he possibly could (the by product of his gear is a noxious gas and it doesn't kill all bugs). I was thinking of trying something like Iodopher.

Thanks,

Matty

After a few episodes with iodophor I use nappy san now. After I have cleaned all the gear I dissolve the nappy san in hot water and fill with cold and let it soak, for a period of time.

I bought some Amarillo and NS hops from CRAFTBREWER. They were fast and competitively priced.

After a few episodes with iodophor I use nappy san now. After I have cleaned all the gear I dissolve the nappy san in hot water and fill with cold and let it soak, for a period of time.

I bought some Amarillo and NS hops from CRAFTBREWER. They were fast and competitively priced.

Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought that iodophor and nappy san are used for two different purposes. Iodophor is a sanatizing agent where as nappy san is for cleaning.

Personally I use Starsan instead of Iodophor for sanatizing, but either one does the same, and nappy san for cleaning.

Matty

Have you tried old mate at Molong???? He is supposed to be really good! Not sure myself as i moved to NQ before i got a chance to get there

The fella from Molong is really good. He doesn't sell Nelson Hops but I haven't checked with him to see if he sells Iodopher

I am pretty sure your Iodophor was overdosed Trusty which gave you the funky flavours[alien] . No harm in trying it tho, I might be able to even visit the reactors in Japan.

Thanks for the help guys

yeah, I thought I had mixed it to the right dilution, but I obviously didn't.

The nappy san contains Sodium Percarbonate which is sold by Coopers as a sanitiser. I found a website that gave the correct dosage for Sodium Percarbonte to be used as a no-rinse sanitiser, obviously not a scented version. Next time you use sod perc. mix it with hot water, fill with cold, leave it a few hours and then take a small sample and taste it. It will taste like your water! This is after the FV has been cleared of solids. Dissolved in water, it yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen) and sodium carbonate, which is soda ash which is used to make potable water at your local water authoroties water filtration plant.

yeah, I thought I had mixed it to the right dilution, but I obviously didn't.

The nappy san contains Sodium Percarbonate which is sold by Coopers as a sanitiser. I found a website that gave the correct dosage for Sodium Percarbonte to be used as a no-rinse sanitiser, obviously not a scented version. Next time you use sod perc. mix it with hot water, fill with cold, leave it a few hours and then take a small sample and taste it. It will taste like your water! This is after the FV has been cleared of solids. Dissolved in water, it yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen) and sodium carbonate, which is soda ash which is used to make potable water at your local water authoroties water filtration plant.

Yes I am aware of this. However, Nappy San also has other chemicals in it as well. Surely all of these chemicals will not change as you have mentioned. [ninja]

Also how does Sodium Percarbonate + other unknown chemicals react in regards to head retention and the ability to let yeast do its job?

Archived