Coopers Community

Recommendations on what to brew

Matt C

Hi everyone,

I am new to brewing. I just bottled the lager that came with my kit (haven't tasted it yet). It was really easy to make and I want to get started on my next brew... one of my choosing.

I am trying to decide between the IPA and the English Bitter. Does anyone have any opinions on which I should try next? Also, should I get the complete kit or is there a better way to make my next brew?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

Matt,

They both make great beers, so it is up to your personal preference which to try next. Maybe get them both, and toss a coin to deide which to do first? The IPA is bitter and hoppy, the EB darker, not so bitter and malty.

The 'How to Brew' section of this site and the Recipe Resource discussion have lots of ideas for recipes and additions.

Dan

Hi Matt, I would recommend the UK bitter, because after you try IPA you may not want to go back - haha!

You realise you have opened a can of worms? You may as well go buy the second barrel and extra PET bottles right now, because it's only a matter of time!

Welcome to brewing yum [happy]

PS: The 'kits' aren't totally necassary, just a can of coops and 1kg of raw sugar and you're good to go!

At the very least,I'd use the Cooper's brewing sugar. It's 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrine. The dextrose will ferment out more completely,without leaving a cidery after taste. I've found that the brewing sugar also gives a bit better color,flavor,head. All that sort of thing.

I thought that if you used too much dextrose it will leave a cidery texture because it leaves the beer thin and thats one of the reason why alot of brewers use malt instead when making beer.

I may be wrong because I have never had any cidery tastes when brewing with dextrose, malt or maltodextrine.

they say you shouldn't use more than 15% dex as a fermentable. it lends nothing to the body of the body. only alcohol.

i remember when i first started brewing with the cooper's O.S. kits and dex the results tasted like "homebrew". i'm not sure if that was too much dex in the recipe leading to the "cidery" taste or poor temp. control or both[crying] .

hey leonard, how's that O.S. Lager coming along? what's on the brew for you these days?[biggrin]

Matt C,

i think the cooper's TC IPA is quite possibly the best kit i've brewed[love] . the E. bitter is also nice but for head retention and body with a good hops kick the IPA is the best bang of the two. i recommend brewing both, back to back. you can tell us which you like better[cool] .

Thanks guys,

I think I will try both, but start with the English Bitter (make my way up to the brew that everyone seems to rave about [biggrin] ).

Thanks again for all your advice.

Matt

they say you shouldn't use more than 15% dex as a fermentable. it lends nothing to the body of the body. only alcohol.

i remember when i first started brewing with the cooper's O.S. kits and dex the results tasted like "homebrew". i'm not sure if that was too much dex in the recipe leading to the "cidery" taste or poor temp. control or both[crying] .

hey leonard, how's that O.S. Lager coming along? what's on the brew for you these days?[biggrin]

That's why I'm glad they gave me the cooper's "brewing sugar"with my micro brew/OS lager kit(s). But table sugar makes that cidery flavor more pronounced. The brewing sugar is 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrine. Keep good ferment temps (to the lower side of the yeast's range),& you minimize this effect. Anyway,the OS lager/brewing sugar combo came out like this;http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/family%20fun/PICT0001.jpg

It has a taste like a malt-forward English ale,fruity,earthy malt aroma.Some bittering towards the end. My wife loves it. I saved the last 10 PET bottles for my 55th b-day today.I since have brewed/dry hopped/bottled my "Summer Pale" ale. As of being bottled 2 weeks ago this Sunday,it looks/smells/tastes like it'll be a slightly English Clone of a Salvator doppel bock. Beautiful amber color,can't wait to smell/taste it when it's ready to pour in a couple more weeks!

Tough choice... I personally like both the English Bitter and the IPA - can't go wrong with either...

That said if you want something with a little bit more body and ABV I can highly recommend the recipe (in the How to Section) for Authentic IPA - what a cracker and it's so easy to make. [love] [love]

Similar to one of my earlier postings (the cidery taste)...

Beer Fact (according to Paul): Too much simple sugar (sucrose/dextrose) in the brew will throw acetaldehyde and thin the beer. Further to this, excess simple sugar is not the only cause of acetaldehyde - although rare, yeast may produce this ester in an all malt brew...

Sensitivity and/or tolerance of the ester, acetaldehyde (green apple, cider like aromas), varies from person to person. [rightful]

I now stick with Dex. I agree with Chad, try to keep the addition below 15% max of the total fermentables.

Welcome to the forum Matt and happy brewing!

Archived