Coopers Community

bunnings "fermenter"

lachlanb

Hey all. Happy almost friday.

I wanted to get another fermenter but didnt want to spend much. So took yall advice and picked up a 20l bucket from bunnings. Do you siphon the beer from it or put a tap in it? ive got a cheap ass tap from big w the other day but not entirely sure how to put it on.

Lachlanb,

Drill our the plastic cover over the bung hole and screw the plastic tap in "tight",

Making sure the spout is facing down. Go to your local HB Shop and get a little device that fits inside the tap, before you install the tap, it has a slot on one side, push this into the tap where the thread is with the slot facing up. this device prevents the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter from running into the tap when bottling.

Just ask the bloke in the shop how to fit it, they are probably $1 each

Have tyou got a "little bottler"? If not get one from the shop or from Big W.

Weggl

Hey Lachlanb - I think you might have got the wrong thing from Bunnings. They sell a 25L water container which comes with a bung hole for the tap (which they sell for a couple of bucks). Then all you have to do is put the lid aside and get some glad wrap [biggrin]

Yep, Daves is the only Home Brew store nearby but personally I get most of my stuff home delivered from Craftbrewer in Brissy. It is generally fresher and cheaper.

Also, don't bother with the "sediment reducer" that Weggl mentioned they are as useless as airlocks. (Sorry Weggl [innocent] [innocent] )

"Also, don't bother with the "sediment reducer" that Weggl mentioned they are as useless as airlocks. (Sorry Weggl )" haha gold.

ahh i must have. Which bunnings do u pick urs up muddy? do the smaller ones like narrabeen and warringah mall have them or do i have to go to belrose?

cheers fellas

For those who insist on using the sediment reducer - it should be installed with the slot facing downward. This prevents yeast from settling into it. The flow rate, when bottling, is not fast enough to pull up the yeast sediment from the bottom of the FV.

Think of a pool cleaner sucking dirt from the bottom of a pool, it has to be very, very close to pick the sediment up [wink]

Archived