Coopers Community

Twice Radical Today

LazyDave

1. Bought a hydrometer - haven't used one in 3 years of brewing. At the moment it's a fun toy. But will hopefuly lead to better brewing.

2. Brewed this to 21 litres today, have always been a 23L guy...

Coops Sparkling Ale

1kg raw sugar

500g dry light malt

25g pride of ringwood

sg of 1052

I've given up on liquid malt, I find it too syrupy, but adore the flavour of dry light. I also think 25g of POR may be a bit light for the hop heads out there, but I want the aroma, not the bitterness.

Question...

The calculator I used said sg should be 1055, but theres no 'input' for raw sugar, only 'glucose or dextrose' could this make the difference?

I'm hoping this recipe is two steps closer to the real Coopers SA [happy]

Lol, erm yes you're right. Me confused, I have been on other missions to get aroma rather than bitterness. But in this case, (as I have been told on this forum), coopers SA uses POR, but the aroma/flavour comes from the yeast.

I will sacrifice all things to snare that coopers SA [love]

I reckon you'll have all the hops you need in the sparkling ale can - it is the yeast and the malt that will make the difference. I'm still tweaking the malts and dex to get the perfect CSA but I'm getting closer. Goes without saying that yeast should be cultured up from the commercial Coopers beer.

Yeah that's my next step after testing how this one turns out.

Then I still have 'crazy radical plan' which I am still keeping to myself [bandit] it's one of those things you wouldn't dare talk about till it's proven to work lol.

So my question about the raw sugar, does that knock a couple of points off your SG compared to DEX?

Question...

The calculator I used said sg should be 1055, but theres no 'input' for raw sugar, only 'glucose or dextrose' could this make the difference?

I'm hoping this recipe is two steps closer to the real Coopers SA [happy]

Just conducted an experiment.

10 grams of dextrose in 210 ml water (your ratio) at 20c (my hydro is calibrated at 20c) and the same with white sugar, brown sugar, and raw sugar.

The difference between the dextrose and all the others was -.001

The dextrose is .001 lighter

Hope that helps

Archived