Coopers Community

Benedictine Abbey Ale

TonyW

Made in N.S.W by the Malt Shovel brewery (think James Squire) for the New Norcia\u2019s Monks in Western Australia.

Heres some blurb on the product

An historical brewing link is only one of many requirements for developing an abbey ale by a commercial brewer who licenses the name and must protect the abbey\u2019s cultural heritage. The abbey retains control over advertising and marketing of the ale. It took until last September to clear the way for a trial brew to be tasted by the monks, employees and Friends of New Norcia.

Have just tried a 330mm bottle and the first thing i noticed was the typically spicy overtones of the style. Not as strng taste wise as the one i brewed a while back but very nice just the same.

If you like Trappist style beer give this one a go [love]

I am just about to chase this down with a Grimbergen Dubbel.

Grimbergen is a group of Belgian abbey beers first brewed in 1128 at the abbey that Saint Norbert of Xanten built, so they should of got it right by now [lol] .

Then i am onto a Newcastle Brown Ale [biggrin]

I will post a recipe for a trappist style thats very nice next time i brew one, i think mine is better than the Benedictine but havent tried the Grimbergen yet.

I tried the Malt Shovel Abbey Ale some time ago and really enjoyed it.

I remember buying it with a White Rabbit Dark Ale which was also very nice.

I think I may have to revisit both in the near future.

I will have to try a a White Rabbit Dark Ale.

If i go to Dans i get myself 3 different grogs that i havent tried,usually expensive, or one to do a comparison with something i am brewing of the same style.

Archived