Coopers Community

Microbrewery vs new DIY kit

saxman

Hello

I am a new member and have not yet ordered a kit.

I see on the Coopers web sit the Microbrewery kit has been replaced with the DIY kit with different fermenter.

The shipping to the US is very expensive but I found the MB kit on Amazon for much less.

Is their an advantage to the new DIY kit and where can I get it in the USA.

Thanks in advance,I hope I have not repeated other posts.

I look forward to learning from you all.

Scott

Hi Saxman

I am sure that you will receive opinions about whether the new or the old kit is the best but I think they are both great. I bought the Microbrewery kit in 2007 and have never had a problem with it. I ordered the new DIY kit from Australia because I want to make the Russian Imperial Stout recipe that, apparently, has a "volcanic fermentation", even though I have never had a problem with too much foam with the old fermenting vessel with any of the brews I have done so far. I would have waited until the DIY kit becomes available in the UK but the Cooper's agent here is replacing the 30x740ml bottles with 45x500ml bottles, and I really don't want aa 50% increase in bottle cleaning so I decided to order the new kit from Australia. I would recommend buying the Microbrewery kit to save on postage since it is fine. Hope this helps and welcome to the order.

Sorry Saxman, I meant to say that the advantage of the new DIY kit is that it is supposed to help with brews that produce a lot of foam (krausen). Hence the krausen collar. My DIY kit arrived yesterday so I haven't tested it out yet. Like I said, I didn't have a problem with the the MB kit with too much foam with any of the brews I have done so far but the RIS recipe in the how to brew section says that it is a volcanic fermentation so I got it for that (and because it's new!).

Hey Saxman - Roger pretty much covered (I still wish we could get the 500ml PET bottles he doesn't like though [crying] ).

Both kits are great and will do a great job. Obviously the new DIY kit is more advanced with the kollar but if the old one is considerably cheaper I'd go for that.

As the fermentors in both kits are quite fat I can't use either as they don't fit in my fermenting fridge (can't close the door [pinched] ).

Thank you.

I believe I will get the microbrewery kit as it is available at a much better price sans shipping.

My oldest son has gotten me interested in brewing and beer and I want to give it a go.

I have seen other kits online but the Coopers stood out to me.

I got the micro brew kit from makebeer.net. He has all the other Cooper's stuff as well. Plus some good vids. So far.the screw on lid has been the toughest lil course threaded bugger I've ever seen. No blow overs at all. It's a great unit to me.

And the OS lager kit it came with came out great! It's like an English Pale Ale,the ones on the malty side. My wife loves it[love]. She was so proud of me with how good it turned out. It's a beautiful thing when wifey looks at you with glass in hand,big smile with the ol' love lights on high beam. What more could any mortal man desire or deserve.?!

Leonard, looks like you have sent your wife to the re-training school, by all appearances it seems it was worth the money.

As fo the new kit, the only advantage i see is that it has a PLASTIC HYDROMETER, just broke my new glass one.

If you are going to make a high foaming beer, make it on say 16L and after the foaming has died down top it up to the correct level. And use the patented "MUDDY Gladwrap system.[biggrin]

Another big advantage with the DIY kit I am impressed with is how easy it is to clean. There are no threads and everything is as smooth as a babies bum and very easy to get to every part of the FV. There is no "air lock" to worry about and no need to ensure things are sealed etc. I like simplicity!!

It's a good thing I ordered an extra hydrometer with my micro brew kit. I was sitting here the other day,sprayin down the hydro parts,went to shake the hydrometer,& broke it in two!

Bloody 'ell! It was accurate,too.

I may just get another fermenter,& a bottling bucket to rack to for a secondary to dry hop,or add other things like wood chips soaked in liquor. Gotta ramp up operations,with 2-3 weeks primary,3-4 weeks in the bottle...I think I created a monster?...[roll] [crying]

Archived