Coopers Community

Greetings all from a noob

George J

Hello all. Total noob here when it comes to brewing the nectar of the gods [innocent]

I used one of the Coopers tins to set up my first batch to ferment a few weeks ago on a saturday. By Wednesday the airlock wasn't showing a lot of activity, but I could see condensation at the top of the plastic fermenting bin and the gunk that forms at the top of the wort. Unfortunately weather turned cold overnight on wednesday and i dint notice anything happen thru the air lock after that. so on Saturday, i dumped the batch! [annoyed] I should have found this forum earlier.

Anyhow, chucked another batch into the primary last saturday and stuck it in the hot water cylinder cupboard so that it doesnt get too cold again. Took a reading last night and the SG is on 1.010 (original SG was 1.032). Now, a friend suggested using Finings to clear the beer so I added that to the wort last night. Have I F***ed up my brew by doing that? I am planning to take SG readings everyday till Sunday and if they are steady will start bottling.

Oh! also I should also say a big Thanks to all you gurus on here cos reading all the posts has got me a bit more educated on the whole process. so....Cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum GeorgeJ.

Patience grasshopper.[innocent]

Don't waste the nectar, the gods will not be pleased!![rightful]

Ignore the airlock, having a good seal on your fermenter is irrelevant. Check for signs of fermentation, condensation on the lid, foam (krausen) forming on top of the wort.

I wouldn't take a reading everyday, you'll have no beer left when you come to bottle. Take a reading when you set your wort fermenting (before you add the yeast), then take readings at say, days 7+8 if they are the same over 2 consecutive days your good to bottle. I normally leave mine in the fermenter an extra week for a clearer beer, so no need for finings.

Try to keep it at the low end of the range when fermenting, 20c is good.

Anyway thats my 10cents worth, hope it helps.

Cheers,

Martyn.

George,

Finnings are fine to use but i usually just leave my beer in the fermenter an extra week after it has finished fermenting and it will clear up much the same as if I used finnings.

Also adding finnings would increase the chance of infection to the brew as you are adding something to the brew whilst it is in the fermenter.

Thanks for the advice guys [happy]

I think the whole fermentation stage is done. Cant confirm that the krausen formed on top cos the fermenter I am using is the coopers kit one and I didnt want to open the cap to check while the airlock was bubbling. When I opened it last night to add the Finings there was condensation on the cap but no krausen except for the left over gunk along the sides of the fermenter.

The temp range during fermentation was about 22C. I did have a taste last night when I took the SG reading and it had a mild beer taste to it. I used the Coopers Draught beer mix.

Does adding the finings to the wort mean I shall have to leave it in the fermenter for a few more days? I figured Sunday would be 8 days since pitching the yeast so I would take a reading on Sat and Sun to check whether I should bottle.

Cheers

George,

Finnings are fine to use but i usually just leave my beer in the fermenter an extra week after it has finished fermenting and it will clear up much the same as if I used finnings.

Also adding finnings would increase the chance of infection to the brew as you are adding something to the brew whilst it is in the fermenter.

Thanks Matty. you replied as I was typing my previous reply. Now I hope i havent stuffed it all up with the Finnings [annoyed]

another quick question regarding adding different flavours to the beer.... has anybody ever tried adding a chilly to the wort before pitching the yeast? or do you add flavours after the fermentation?

If you would like to know what chilli will do to your beer, add some at the bottling stage.

If you add it too the fermenter it will be the whole batch but if you add it at bottling stage it will only be 10 bottles or so.

I wasn't too fussed on the chilli beers but some friends love the stuff

hmm.. so half a chilli in each 740ml bottle right? never tried a chilli beer before so will try it in a couple of bottles and see if I like it first. and here I was thinking I am the only one to think of a chilli beer! [pinched]

pastuerised chilli?? right, better get onto google and figure out how that is done..

George,

That was a sinful act, dumping beer. You will have to go stand in the corner for 30min. Never ever dump unless its infected. I was tempted a couple of months ago to dump a Sparkling Ale i thought it was infected after 2 weeks in the bottle. It tasted like rat's piss. 1month later it was fine, so don't be too hasty[roll]

Why dont you just try thr 1/2 chill trick in 1 or 2 bottles befor doing a whole batch?

i sent myself to the corner already Weggl [lol] watching all that brew go down the drain was a sucky feeling. dont wanna go thru that again! hahaha. but seriously, I was under the impression that it failed cos the airlock stopped bubbling. i know better now tho. next batch I am moving to a cling film cap like all you guys.

Thank Matty.. I agree this is defo the best brewing forum I have found in the past 2 weeks of hunting for info.. and a friendly bunch of brewers on here too.

next batch I am moving to a cling film cap like all you guys.

...and thus the boy becomes a man [lol] ...they grow up so quick!

You would be liking this Muddy, it seems that you just have to mention the cling wrap and everyone jumps on board.

Well I atleast gave it ago before I joined. [biggrin]

Weggl, I put the chilli in a Mex Cav (couldn't tell you the exact recipe as I don't have it with me, and I didn't really enjoy it a great deal. A few of my mates loved it tho.

I still have one bottle sitting in the pile, may have to dig it out and give it a taste.

Yea George the clingwrap will remove the worry of the air lock not bubbling at least. if in doubt as to if the stuff is ready to bottle, just leave it a few more days. The beer will be going through its ageing process, it does not know that it is not in a bottle.[innocent]

As for this bunch being friendly, well just wait untill they know you better, then watch out for the flack. Don't make the mistake of spelling Lager as Larger, if you do look out.[bandit]

Yea George the clingwrap will remove the worry of the air lock not bubbling at least. if in doubt as to if the stuff is ready to bottle' date=' just leave it a few more days. The beer will be going through its ageing process, it does not know that it is not in a bottle.[innocent']

As for this bunch being friendly, well just wait untill they know you better, then watch out for the flack. Don't make the mistake of spelling Lager as Larger, if you do look out.[bandit]

You can also tell everyone to thank Paul. That seems to get a good reaction. [devil]

...and thus the boy becomes a man [lol] ...they grow up so quick!

[biggrin] [biggrin] [whistling

Just checked the SG. still at 1.010 and it tastes more like beer than last night. will give it a few more days i think... or at least till sunday [lol]

so is it just a cling film cover with a few pin holes poked in it?

and everybody, please thank Pual... [innocent] (not sure who Paul is!)[innocent]

Hi George,

Where abouts in Kiwiland are you? What kit did you manage to buy and where from?

Oh....and welcome. I'm just getting started too, borrowed brothers gear for first brew which I'm waiting to taste, and now hunting for a place to find a Coopers Kit for less than $110-120!

Cheers

Nath

Howdy Nath! small world. I'm in Havelock North too! [biggrin]

I borrowed a friend's fermenter cos he gave up on brewing. I haven't seen any kits for less that $110 either.

Thanks for the pic Muddy.. thats what I am gonna do with my next batch. Lol, I'm already planning my next batch! [lol]

Thank Paul!

Fermenters, do you have Bunnings where you are? They have 25L fermenters in the section that has water containers for about $18 Aust.A1 fermenters.

Paul is our resident Guru.[roll]

Archived