Coopers Community

lots of questions

benken25

some of these may be a bit stupid but i will ask anyway

I cleaning out the brew stocks i have a can of canadian blonde and and english bitter how would they go as a toucan with some galaxy hops do ya reckon it would work or all turn to shit?[crying]

also if yeast is bought reasonably fresh and put it in the the fridge how long will it last?

and also a brew store site i use is giving away premium yeast that is out of date for 1 cent i packet with other sales they claim they have been kept in the fridge would they be any good?

and finaly is it ok to freeze yeast?

sorry about all the questions i hope some of the experts can answer them[biggrin]

That toucan might be a cracker - the galaxy should sit well with the styrian golding in the English Bitter [biggrin]

Yeast will last longer in the fridge - how long, dunno...

Yes, dry yeast may be stored in the freezer.

If you have doubts about the viability of a sachet of dry yeast, have a smell of it (should smell fruity or bready with no off smells) and hydrate it in warm water (it should start to produce a little foam within 30mins).

thanks for the answers paul im going to put the toucan down this weekend im going to use a saflager s-23 yeast and try out my brew fridge which i have changed the thermostat to run at 15 degrees fingers crossed it works a treat[biggrin]

I figure the lager yeast will be a bit more forgiving at the lower temp plus the rest of the recipe is a bit different so why not give it a go. The brew fridge is still a work in progress i am still trying to figure out how to intergrate the heat pad as well i picked it up for $10 from a garage sale its just the right size for the fv

If you get youreself a TEMPMATE you can regulate both the fridge and the heat pad.

If your fridge has metal shelves you could put the heat pad on a shelf below the fermentor (better not to have it in direct contact). If it has plastic shelves you'll need to put it up the side or somewhere that it wont melt plastic parts of the fridge (fridge plastic isn't designed for heat and has a very low tolerance for it).

Archived