Coopers Community

Beer in airlock

MattC10

Hi all, been a while since I posted. I currently have a dark ale in the fermenter which is bubbling beautifully\u2014I achieved a perfect seal by using a food-safe lubricant around the o-ring in the lid and the gasket at the base of the airlock. I know we're supposed to ignore them... but a bubbling airlock is just such a lovely sight! That said, I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is bad to have the foam from within the fermenter backing up into the airlock itself. I took my brew belt off and the temp is currently 20C. Have I achieved TOO perfect a seal? Will this contaminate the brew?

You should be right, just take the Airlock out give it a clean (only with water) and then fill it up and shove it back in. The CO2 gas which is in the headspace of your brew forms a pretty good seal for infections.

MattC - ignore any comments from the gladwrappers... I'm pro-airlock too. It's great to see an airlock bubbling away! (just don't rely on airlock activity to tell you when the brew is ready to bottle... trust your hydrometer)

Some people use a blow-off pipe during vigorous ferments. I've heard of brewers using the airlock hole (without the airlock in it) and attaching a plastic tube to it to siphon off any foam produced. Then, when the volcanic foam as subsided, re-attach the airlock.

Yep' date=' no worries give it a wash and stick it back in (or throw it out [bandit'])

I don't like blow off tubes myself I like to keep all the foamy goodness in the fermentor [biggrin]

I agree with you Muddy, throw it away, the issue is its a little hard to create a blow off tube when you use glad wrap.

Oh well i just let the foamy goodness run into the gladwrap and then replace the gladwrap when it dies down.

Works great for me.

Phew! Thank you all for responding\u2014quite a relief! I just came upstairs from switching to a clean airlock (I have an extra). You know I always learn something when I post and I feel like a part of a special community! Thanks again and Cheers!

Archived