Coopers Community

Airlock Blowout

craigb12

I just put down a wheat beer yesterday using a 1.7kg can of coopers wheat beer, a 1.5kg can of Coopers wheat Malt Extract, a little coriander seed, a little orange zest, and a spoonful of honey.

I woke up about 3am to the sound of beer spewing up and out through the airlock.

It's my first blowout - and my first two can brew - so i took the airlock out, cleaned it up, cleaned all around the hole in the lid, then put it all back together. I've had to do it twice more since then.

My Question: is this something that's more common with two can brewing? Also, does anyone have any tips/tricks for dealing with airlock blowouts?

I know that it's a good sign (healthy fermentation etc) but it's a real pain in the arse to clean every few hours.

MUDDY:

Yeah, i think everything should have been clean; i left all of the equipment soaking in sanitizing solution overnight. Is infection a common cause of blowouts? Everything smells and looks ok so far, but ill keep an eye on it. Maybe it was just unbelievably healthy yeast, ha. And yeah, I wasn't too sure on the definition of two can (toucan) brewing.

How can you tell in advance if its going to be a volcano? Is it dependent on the ingredients?

LEONARD:

Yeah, I've seen that trick before. Think i first saw it from that Craig guy on youtube. Everything seems to have calmed down a bit now, but if its starts spewing out of the airlock again I'll have a go at the tube/bottle method.

In my experience it is generally the dark ales and stouts with a lot of fermentables (toucans especially [rightful] )that tend to fire up the most. As mentioned earlier, my preferred method is to reduce the volume by a few litres and then gently top it up with cooled boiled water after a couple of days when the krausen has died down. This way you keep all the good stuff in your beer rather than losing it through a blow off tube or airlock.

I wouldn't freak out about my "was everything clean" comment - I was just thinking out loud. If it smells, tastes and looks ok that is the important thing.

Everything seems to have calmed down now... thankfully...

Im fermenting at about 25 degrees centigrade. Do you think that's a little high? Im in Scotland just now so i've got the opposite problem from you Australian lads; i need to fight to keep the temperature up.

Its 18 degrees in the room by day, and about 16 degrees at night. You reckon you could do a decent beer at these temperatures? Can you think of any that would be particularly good?

Archived