Coopers Community

spoon in ya longneck?????

MichaelD16

I remember in the 80's, when I was a teenager, if we had a bottle/stubbie that we couldn't finish then we would put a teaspoon (handle) in the neck and put it in the fridge. When we woke up the beer wasn't the best but it wasn't flat either. However, it beats nothing and letting your beer go flat. Just don't let the handle touch the liquid. It won't work long term though.

lol then again when you are a teenager and you hit it again as soon as you wake up, then anything tastes as good. [rightful]

The good folks at Stanford University spent a whole lot of time and effort doing a controlled scientific study on just this topic (well, with champagne):

Spoon Fizz

Needless to say, the spoon does jack...[lol]

I wouldn't believe that report... as quoted:

"The spoons, silver or stainless, were not especially successful in maintaining the sparkle of the wine. But spoons and all other treatments worked better than re-corking the bottles. At least in this test, re- corking seemed to be the best way to make champagne lose effervescence and taste.

Leaving the bottle open and untreated worked better than hanging a spoon inside. In fact, the two bottles left open in the refrigerator for 26 hours averaged a higher score than any other treatment - including just-opened champagne."

As a blind teenager, we were happy with the results with the beer we had left and no, we didn't reseal it simply because teenagers (and me now) just do not keep the seals.

Easiest way is, try it for yourself. I would not take the above "University" result as an outcome. It even says at the bottom that more tests are needed and this was for Champaign, not beer.

That's ok Kearnage, I did take it as that. I just pointed out the facts that really make no sense. Also I am assuming it was a group of pissed, young University students who did the testing.

How can one say that a bottle which has been opened and left unsealed for 26 hours be more carbonated than a bottle just opened?.... obviously one bottle was carbonated a lot more than the other.[bandit]

Yep, I know what you mean. Stanford were very famous for their experiments (ie the famous prison experiment) so a 1 day 'let's have some fun' project gets more airplay than it should. You get the impression they sampled the test bottles regularly!

Archived