Coopers Community

hmmmm confused!!

Rob (Guinness Man)

Hey all,

After a massive 1 month wait (don't ask) my Coopers Kit arrived. I've had time to check forums, read comments and even make some spanking labels buuuuut I've just decided to watch the DVD that comes with it and I'm confuuuused!!!!

General consensus suggests that a Larger can be brewed with a minimum temperature of 8 degrees. Greg and Lisa from the official DVD says the opposite. Rudeness!

Here's my situation. Aussie living in Valencia Spain hanging out to brew a Coopers with water from the Sierra Calderona, were in a darn cold winter with temperatures inside my place (central heating off) is around 13 degree's. (Outside 1-2 degree's)

Will my brew work? I will obviously stick the fermentation tank in a dark room with a constant temperature meaning no central heating).

Any advise most welcome as I'm planning to start the brew this Sunday.

Cheers,

Rob

[rightful] The lager that comes with the Coopers kit uses Ale yeast [rightful].

If it was using a lager yeast it would be able to brew around that mark although Coopers make the brewing experience easier for the new brewers and include ale yeast which can be brewed around the 20C - 25C mark and taste great.

The lager that came with the kit probably wont brew in that temp unless you get temperature control. See if you can pick up a Coopers European Lager kit (from the International Series) or a Coopers Pilsner kit (from the Thomas Coopers Selection series). They both have lagar yeast to brew in.

Shiiiiit. Lucky you told me. Could of gone horrible wrong.. geeze.... I'll get in touch with my local away from home Coopers distributor and get a Pilsner kit. Close call...

Thanks, I'll keep you posted. Water is the key here and I've stumbled upon a mighty divine natural mountain spring here :) The Moors dug deep wells to find the richest of waters in the harsh deserts ;)

Cheers,

Rob

I would love to have one, But since I live in an apartment with a child, I barely have enough room to park my motorbike inside let alone another fridge.

Looks like I will have to do some re-arranging and see if SWMBO will let me toss some stuff out to make room.

What about a bar fridge Matty?

There are some nice ones around that are not too cumbersome. There is a cheap Temp Controller on Ebay too for $17 as well which does heating and cooling. I have one coming but am waiting to find a cheap fridge now. On another note: I scored some 9L corneys too for $70 each :)

AND... huge appology to Rob for going off topic. I don't suppose you're able to set up a fridge there either? That would be the easiest way for Temp control especially in the climate you're in at the moment.

Hey Bill - you sure they're not 19L cornys? what are their dimensions?

I have 4 x 19L cornys + 23L SS and have 4 x 9L cornys coming. They are definately 9L Ball Lock Cornys and I know of a few people who have already bought them. They are used and are $40 each + $120 shipping to Aust. which equates to $70 each and I'm wrapped. No need to take bottles anymore just take a corny woohoo!!... however they have been in transet now since the 4th feb and are coming from Germany.

Are you interested in some because I can put you onto him but he only has 500 and I know a lot of other people have ordered from another HB forum I frequent.

!Btg(kvgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-D4EvqidCvrEBL8RyFMq0!~~_12.JPG

The first thing the misses said was, thats a cute keg. When I looked at the picture I thought, why the hell would you want something so small but then good point for the going to a mates place.

Just need a portable tap and CO2 and your fixed.

Oh and as for the bar fridge idea. I am not sure if a bar fridge would be able to fit the fermenter. I might just have to toss some shit that the misses wont let me toss (she never uses it) from the shed to make space.

Then I could brew my Pilsner in peace.

I think they are actually 9.45L but a carton of beer is 9L so this would be great to take to another place with a portable setup.

Also some brews I can split amongst 2 x 9L kegs. Reason is, I am not a huge Stout fan but like it occassionally. Therefore, I can have a 9L stout and put another 9L away to mature for a later date. [biggrin]

Archived