Coopers Community

Hop pellets - how do I use them?

LazyDave

Hi, I did the introduction bit on the 'read first' post, and realised that I should ask a question here, rather than choke up that thread, so here it is in isolation :)

I have hop pellets imported from USA, vacuum sealed. I just want to try them in a brew, I use cling-film method, therefore I will have to add them at mixing time? All I want to know is what do I do with them? Boil them, soak them etc? Bit dumb I know, but it's the simple things in life that confuse me. I'm just a beer drinker lol. An example would be adding 30g (1 ounce) Czech Saaz pellets to coopers 'selection' pilsner. Thanks in advance,

Thanks Matty, very interesting thread, although it was a little advanced for me, I am realy not sure I can cope with the straining of hops through my teeth as I drink from the glass lol.

I will be submerging my pellets into boiling water for 5 minutes to sterilise and to gain max aroma, and then I will be chucking it all into the mix.

I was hoping someone would say not to bother because the wart will have sufficient hops already - guess I will find that out.

Just tried a 'Barossa Valley Brewing' Organic Ale - it's close to what I want in the hop sense, and not a bad ale at all. If I get that aroma into a coopers sparkling ale I will be happy.

Nope sounds good to me, you can have them boil for a little longer if you like, it's all a big experiment in the end its all a matter of finding out what you like.

The next brew I am doing I am going to boil some Amarillo for 15m then some more for 5.

Hops have anti bacterial properties so you can add them direct to the fermeter ,or secondary, for dry hopping .You can also make hop tea or even boil for a short time to get different flavors from the hops ,

If your making hop tea a coffee plunger is a good idea and will keep any bits of hop out of your brew but hops usually drop to the bottom of the fermeter anyway if you leave your primary alone for two weeks .

Cheers guys, I was told hops can cause contamination, so they need 5 min boil minimum, and that seems to be when the aroma starts to wain - so it seems a sensible start for me. The coffee plunger may be just what I need.

I don't like the thought of leaving my primary for 2 weeks, I use cling film so I believe I have to bottle at exactly the right time, (2 days settled and clear at edges). I'm not a kegger, I use glass tallies :) I don't use measurements, it's all done by sight - I like that and have no problems with it.

Hi Dave - I don't understand why using cling film means you have to bottle at exactly the right time??? It also doesn't affect your hopping options. I use cling film and I'm generally a 2 week man (possibly more for lagers). Someone has put uneccessary fears in your head [rightful]

Thanks Muddy, only my lack of reading skill has put fears in my head lol. I read the coopers instructions (2.BREW) as cling film being considered an open method, I now see that I have read that totaly wrong - oops!

So you can remove and reseal using cling film in order to add hops? I was told not to disturb the gas that protects the brew. Maybe you could give me more insight on this please? For instance do you use a new sheet of film, does the gas build back up, or does it not matter after 3 days or so etc...

'Reading the instructions' - that's a harsh first lesson for a beer drinking male [crying]

Yep, straight out of a sealed pack is fine (or an open pack that has been kept in suitable conditions - like a zip lock plastic bag)

If I do a dry hop after 3 days I just peel back the cling wrap enough to to pop in the hops then reseal using the same bit of plastic. Having said that, if you are ever unsure it certainly wont hurt to use a new bit of cling wrap.

OK thanks for the confidence boost everyone, I have now kicked off first experiment, Coopers Real Ale, 1kg raw sugar, 30g Fuggles hops thrown in after a 5 minute boil up.

I like to start easy, that way if it tastes good I'm on a sure winner, and can move to the next level.

Also bottled my first Coopers IPA today and it brewed, smelled and tasted 100% all the way through - so can't wait for that. Also started my first Coopers Irish Stout, fantastic aroma from the tin! Can life get any better? [innocent]

For sure mate, I was up to 265 tallies in the cupboard when the floods hit. My brewery was kinda wiped out and had to be relocated. So I am starting again, currently up to 116 in the cupboard and the only way is up.

It got to crisis when I had to BUY 2 cartons to get me through the lean times, so I bought Coopers Sparkling Ale and did some homework - you can't keep a good brewer down - haha.

It was a good time to upgrade, so I am now buying Coopers Selection and experimenting with additional hops.

My brewery will be bigger and better, but I will need all your help, so thanks [happy]

I really like the coopers bottles to reuse so don't throw those bottles out from this 2 cartons. Intact I havent purchased a carton of beer for a long time, it has only been the odd few different bottles to try from Dan Murphys or the 6 pack for the yeast.

I have quite often got stuck at the local bowling club due to the prices (3.50 per best extra stout)

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would report that my first dabble with hops was SUCCESS [joyful] despite only 9 days in the cupboard so far - couldn't resist a try. Nice bitterness and a little aroma from the fuggles in the real ale. The 5 minute pellet boil up and thrown into the mix is a winner!

Also snuck a go at my IPA, also a winner, sweet, malty and strong - kinda reminded me of a White Rabbit - yay.

Very happy and onto the next challenge...

Archived