Coopers Community

Big Lumps in Brew

Terry

Hi,

This is my first post, so Hello everyone.

I just made a new brew with dextrose (300g) and light dry malt (500g). When I put the hot water in it just went into about 4 big lumps, I mixed it for about 5 min. and got it better but the lumps are about the size of a golf ball.

Will the brew be ok or will I have to ditch it?

Is there any way to avoid this in the future, am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Terry.

Put the lid on and leave if for about 30mins. When you come back to it, give it a stir - the lumps are likely to have dissolved.

Regardless, it's not an issue, it will dissolve and be metabolised by the yeast in due course. [biggrin]

Terry,

I got caught like that the first time I used Light Dry Malt. Then I read the top of the box which said to mix the LDM with hot water first then add the other ingredients. I was amazed how easily it mixed in when you dissolve it first...just experience I suppose[biggrin]

Dry malt extract should be dissolved in hot water (60-100c) to help pasteurize it, this is not an issue with Coopers Liquid Malt Extract in the can .

This probably wont effect your beer but the yeast will have to outcompeate any spoilage bacteria that exist in small numbers in dry malt extract because of the way it is made and large surface area.

Dry malt extract should be dissolved in hot water (60-100c) to help pasteurize it' date=' this is not an issue with Coopers Liquid Malt Extract in the can .[/quote']

[rightful] Providing the packaging has not been compromised, Coopers Beer Kits and Malt Extracts (both dry and liquid) do not need to be pasteurised prior to fermentation.[rightful]

Archived